Water in outdrive oil, SX-A

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Pulled the drain plug yesterday on my SX-A outdrive yesterday as a part of my winterization process. Much to my dismay the oil came out, looking like a milkshake in color. The boat has been in the water all summer. Obviously water intruded sometime during that time. Now what? I have pulled the outdrive and plan to work on it over the winter. I assume I need to isolate the bad seal by pressure or vacuum testing.

Anybody had similar experience with this and can tell me how difficult a job it is, what seals are prone to going bad and where can I locate a pressure tester?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I actually have a vacuum version of the one I posted too.

If you make your own, make sure you buy a gauge that does both pressure and vacuum and max pressure of the gauge around 15 PSI. Makes no sense to use a 60 PSI gauge when you are putting in 15 PSI. Makes it difficult if not impossible to see a pressure drop occur.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
mightyvac MV8500. http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpk.asp

I think Amazon has them for about $60 for just the pump and $90 for the complete kit. then get an atwood gear oil pump and adapter and you can pressure test, vacuum test and fill gear boxes all day long.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I purchased the Stevens pressure tester suggested above and tested my unit. It held 15psi for a 24 hour period. I'm perplexed. Next I will vacuume test it to see if anything out of place shows and go from there. Any suggestions?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You drained gear oil first right? Make sure you rotate the prop shaft and shift lever during the test.

Also, you always change all the o rings on the plugs right?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
You drained gear oil first right? Make sure you rotate the prop shaft and shift lever during the test.

Also, you always change all the o rings on the plugs right?

Yes, I let the oil drain for a couple days then reinstalled all plugs except at the testing port. I rotated the input and propeller shaft several times during the 24 hr "watch" period. Yes, I installed three new O rings last year on the screws. I will report back once the vacuum test is completed.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Also need to rotate the shift lever. That is a common entry point as well.

Any water in the u-joint bellows?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Also need to rotate the shift lever. That is a common entry point as well.

Any water in the u-joint bellows?

Did that too. No water in the bellows. I have ordered a vacuum pump and hope to test it that way this weekend.At this point still scratching my head.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Vacuum test completed. Very slow leak noted, most notable when prop shaft rotated, still very slow, but none the less a leak. Squirted motor oil onto the prop seal area and re vacuumed. Pressure held for hours. I guess I`ll need a new prop seal before spring. Anybody know if replacing this prop seal can be replaced easily by a DIY`er without the need for special "Volvo tools"?