Avoid purchasing boat due to DP290 in Saltwater??

peakay

Seaman Apprentice
Hi there,

[FONT=verdana, geneva]We were looking at a new to us boat, a 1988 Cobalt 21 BR with a AQ 271c engine which is backed by the Volvo DP 290 outdrive (its white with duo prop), 327 hours on the drivetrain. Its been a lake/trailer boat until the last 2 years when the current owners got it, restored it, did bottom paint, etc. and put into saltwater. Before putting it in, the had the outdrive serviced with new bellows, oil and antifouling paint, which they have renewed a couple times.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva]We came to an agreement on price and were ready to sea trial it and further inspect it, but a boat mechanic I work with says to avoid that outdrive at all costs if its stored in saltwater (we slip our boat in our local saltwater harbor). He said there is somethign about the trim control on that drive that gets corroded and its major $ to get fixed, somethign like $7k. He said that on a mercruiser he can access and fix it externally but on this one you pretty much have to pull the engine, plus a rebuilt mercruiser outdrive is super cheap to buy and just replace.[/FONT]

I realize outdrives in general are not the best for saltwater storage, but should I not buy this boat due to the DP 290?? Everything else about it is very choice - new interior, lots of customization we like, new covers, top, price, etc. - we are having a hard time walking away from it. Is this guy just being overly negative about this outdrive.

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks!

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-23%20at%2012.58.32%20PM_zpszt07xwmm.png

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the AQ271/290DP uses an oildyne pump JUST LIKE MERCRUISER. the cylinders, however are no longer available. however there are rebuild kits on ebay for about $150. beyond that, keep the zincs replaced and make sure the bonding cables are in good shape and replace the raw water inlet casting every two years.

do your own service vs paying a mechanic.

I really like the 290 drive and would not have a problem with it. I believe that your mechanic is being overly negative.

looks like the drive in the picture is missing the shift cover

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I have heard many people also say outdrives stored in salt are bad news, but then again, why would they make zincs for them if it was really that bad for them. I always heard outboard was much less headache in saltwater.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
. I always heard outboard was much less headache in saltwater.

Outboards are generally lifted when the boat is docked. I have an outdrive with no problems it's a VP DPS I have had no problems with the drive. Make sure your zincs are in good shape. Change them annually and for added protection get a hanging zinc. Make sure you service and inspect it annually you should have no problem.

peakay

Seaman Apprentice
What can I inspect and test while the boat is on the trailer? I figured I'd inspect and test the tilt and look at the rams, plus pull the dipstick and make sure the oil is not milky. Does that make sense? Anything else I can check as a layman with limited knowledge?

Thanks guys - I appreciate the feedback!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pull the props and look at the seals, drain a bit of oil out the lower plug to make sir who I don't have water in the oil. Find out when the bellows was replaced

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I had a 32 with twin Volvo 280 drives.
​The difference is yours has power trim mine didn't.
My drives the only thing that was a problem was crud build up on the linkage.
​I had the boat for YEARS in salt water.

Looks like the shift cover in the pic is just dirty.

​I used an aluminum barrier coat on the drives then painted them with antifouling.
I also installed an extra zink plate and grounded it to the motors.