extent of corrosion on drive internals?

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,
Came across a boat today that is available. 2006 Four Winns with a Volvo 4.3 engine. engine hours around 300. boat looks to be in good shape, except there is what appears to me (experience: I just sold a 30 year old Mercruiser with basically none) to be a high amount of corrosion on the sterndrive. Didn't get a chance to examine the drive in depth (will do that later depending upon responses to this topic), did get some photos.

I know there is a process for cleaning up and repainting these drives and I will follow those if the time comes. My question is this: how much corrosion could be INSIDE the stern drive? I know not in the sealed areas, but in the fresh water passages?

Seems odd and concerning that a 10 year old boat would have this level of corrosion.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Jack

Attachments

• photo254336.JPG
    photo254336.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254337.JPG
    photo254337.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 0

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
That doesnt appear to be too awful,... new zincs will reduce corrosion

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes I should clarify I mean a high amount of corrosion for a drive that is only 10 years old with 300 hours.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Is this boat moored? Are all the bonding wires still connected between the pivoting part of the drive and the transom housing.

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its on a trailer. Don't know its mooring history. I'm guessing based on trailer condition (good) and a hunch that this thing did some time in the water. No bottom paint. I am thinking maybe this was in a marina with some extra bolts floating around the docks/moorings.

Its the extent to anything internal I'm concerned about. I can see all the outside and can roughly figure what I need to do.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Might not have checked zincs every season or there was a serious electrolosis problem at the marina. More cosmetic than anything. I think the internals shold be fine. Good luck.