Volvo throttle body

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2011 Volvo penta 5.7 GIC-300 that needs a new throttle body. Part # 21141689. It list for about 450$. The Mercruiser throttle body part # is 866592A04, and lists for 249$. Any chance these are the same GM throttle bodies? They look the same, and saving 200$ suits me. Thanks. Dave-R

alldodge

Staff member
Sure appear to be the same part, and more then likely they are, but cannot say positively.

There isn't much to a throttle body, what happened to yours which causes a need to replace?

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
The Cobalt 232 went under water on it's maiden voyage. Since I bought it, I had the engine rebuilt, replaced all the gauges, ignition switch, new coil and module, starter, and alternator. And also the throttle position sensor (400$) ,new radio and amp. Also had the injectors cleaned. The seamstress wife, made brand new sunbrella covers and even made the snap in carpet. The boat looks brand new. I could not figure out one of the throttle sensor alarms, so I took it to a dealer where it sat for 3 months. They did clear the alarm by replacing the throttle position sensor. The engine now surges at idle. The Volvo tech told me they were waiting to get a similar engine in to swap some parts, rather than just throwing expensive parts at it. He believed that I need a new throttle body, as that contained the IAC inside. I can't complain because, they only charged me for the throttle position sensor, and 97.00$ for labor. I was worried that that the engine might freeze,so I brought it home today. I have the Rinda Diacom, and it is very helpful and has some great troubleshooting sections. I like the mechanical repairs on boats, but get frustrated on electronic problems. Even the gauges all work from the EGC. Funtimes helped me get them all operating. I feel like I'm close on this, and will send pictures when I'm done. Dang love at first sight can be expensive. Dave-R

Fun Times

Staff member
Sure appear to be the same part, and more then likely they are, but cannot say positively.
+1,

Dave-R, You may want to try contacting this eBay seller...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Throttle-Bo...ash=item1e83550e8a:g:UDkAAOSw8-tWVTUd&vxp=mtr

If you look real close at the middle photo with the black plastic cover just above the plug connector end, there is a long number on it possibly a manufacture type number. See if your TB has a number like that and try to see how close they match being that one is a "take off" and he says he has 10+ available....Also once (if) you know those two numbers, try searching all the number combinations possible both online and through EBay to see if you get any other hits for matching purposes.

Lets us know, good luck.:encouragement:

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Before I chucked the old one, I looked all over it with a magnifying glass. There were some numbers on it, but I could not get a hit on them anywhere. It did say General Motors and that's about all. I also looked at the Doug Russell mercruiser throttle positioner, and would like to buy it. The only thing is if it didn't work, I would feel like a weasel to return it. I'm buying Mercruiser next time, parts are much cheaper. I think volvo penta spends a lot of time erasing all the GM numbers and relabeling them for mark-up. Dave-R

alldodge

Staff member
If you bought it and it didn't work, you could resale later. Money's hard to come by but if you have the funds it would be worth the try. On the plus side you could let us know which way it went and then all your fellow iboat'ers would know. :rolleyes:

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
You have a good point All Dodge. I think I am going to try that. I just was not sure if the IAC was inside the Mercruiser throttle body . Thanks for your help. Dave-R

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
That style of throttle body doesn't have an IAC. The computer uses the throttle plate to control idle.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Muc: If it doesn't have the IAC Muc, I wonder what could be causing the Engine surging at idle? I have read about the fuel pressure regulator leaking into the manifold, and will check that out. I did replace the EGC with a new one also. I keep thinking it's got to be fuel related, but I am open to any suggestions. I have a fuel pressure gauge, but the shrader valve on the high pressure pump is larger. I will get an adapter to fit the high side, and check it out. Thanks for your help.
Dave-R

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Checking fuel pressure is a very good idea.
You could do a recording with Diacom -- while its surging --- and post it here. I think a few of us have that software and might see something you missed.