Sonic cleaning carbs

normanr25

Seaman
Hi All
I have removed my 44PA carbs and I am going to do a sonic clean on them,I started today using a sonic cleaning fluid heated up to 70C for 20 minutes they are a bit better but not as good as some of the videos on the internet.

My question is how long could I soak them without causing any damage because as we all know these carbs are obsolete.

Norman

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First of all, is there any plastic parts in those carbs. I am not familiar with them so I don't know everything on or in them. If there are any plastic parts, don't soak them in anything harsh or it will dissolve the plastic parts. Don't ask me how I know that. If there are nothing but metal, then soak them and check on them occasionally 'til they look perfectly clean. Then either write that time down to remember it for next cleaning session. I am assuming you are buying carb kits to reassembly them. JMHO

normanr25

Seaman
Hi yes carbs are stripped down completely so just metal parts no plastic or gaskets,just did not want to leave them in the bath too long just wondered if there was a maximum time for this sort of cleaning

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hi yes carbs are stripped down completely so just metal parts no plastic or gaskets,just did not want to leave them in the bath too long just wondered if there was a maximum time for this sort of cleaning

I don't think you can leave them in a sonic cleaner too long. I mean once they are clean, it doesn't matter if they are in there longer. So not to worry. I would check on them and once they look clean, time to rinse and dry them out and start assembling again. JMHO

normanr25

Seaman
Thanks for the info, just one more question sorry to be a pain but when I stripped the carbs the diaphragm had the spring facing carb body and then diaphragm with pin resting in the spring facing the carb body and then outer cover fitted is this correct only the hand book says fit the diaphragm of the acceleration pump so that it's guide pin faces the cover,the spring should be placed between the diaphragm and the carb body.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
...the hand book says fit the diaphragm of the acceleration pump so that it's guide pin faces the cover,the spring should be placed between the diaphragm and the carb body.

The book has it correct. The video referenced above shows it well.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
If you think about it, when the lever end is pull by the linkage, the post on the lever pushes the diaphragm into the carb body, compressing the spring, and pushes fuel up to the nozzle. When the lever is retracted, the spring pushes the diaphragm back against the cover and lever post. If the spring were on the cover side of the diaphragm, the diaphragm would already be pushed toward the body side of the chamber and there would be no force to push it back to the cover side so that it would be ready to pump fuel.

I have seen a diagram on an aftermarket parts kit that has the spring in the wrong position. Took me awhile to figure out why it wasn't pumping fuel.

When you go to reassemble and sync the carbs, don't forget that you need to set the accel pump linkage as well. You want them to start pumping as you press the throttle lever. If they are timed too late, the butterflys will open first and cause stumbling because engine vacuum hasn't caught up with demand yet. That is the whole purpose of those pumps, so make sure they are opening right away.

Good luck with it. Once tuned up, I've had mine start on the first crank every time.

normanr25

Seaman
Thanks fellas
Carbs were not assembled correctly you have all been a great help as always happens on our forum, so all sorted now that video explained it all in detail.

Regards
Normen