SX: Clean Lube Oil in U-joint bellows - blown seal?

jharvey1984

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks in advance for any help/advice provided. I have learned sooooo much about my driveline on this forum. I purchased a 2003 Cruisers 3275 this summer with twin 5.7GXi's mated to DP-SM 1.95 drives. I just pulled both drives to do seasonal maintenance, check everything out, and put up for the winter. The port u-joint bellows had a slow water leak - no major damage to u-joints/gimbal bearing so replaced the bellows and moved on.

Here is where I'm not so sure. The starboard u-joint bellows had a small amount (maybe 3-4 ozs) of very clean (almost looked new) drive lube in it. No water at all in the bellows or in the drive lube that remained in the drive. It looks like there was/is a small leak from the input shaft seal. Based on my research it appears this may have been caused by the drive being overfilled with lube oil at some point. Here is my question: Is this seal toast or is there a chance it is still good? Could the seal have a leak from overfill and then "re-seat" and still be OK?

My current plan was to do a pressure test and if all is well move on. Do I need to do a vacuum test as well or will a pressure test do?

If I need to have the seal replaced I plan to remove the bearing carrier and have the marina do the work. If I go this route will the gear lash and bearing carrier shimming change or can I button it all up as-found after the seal replacement and be done?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes if the drive has a seal leak when it's in the water then water can be drawn in and this can eventually pressurize the drive oil and push oil past that seal. Pull the bottom plug and check for water in that drive....

jharvey1984

Seaman Apprentice
Lou. There was no water in the drive. I drained the drive prior to removing it and it was nice and black, not milky at all.

Bruce. So a pressure test is all I need? Do I need to vacuum test as well or will a positive pressure test be enough? I can easily perform a pressure test but would have to buy a vacuum pump if a vac test is warranted.

Thank you both for the replies and thanks in advance for any follow up replies.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Assuming you have no water in the drive, a pressure test is enough since the oil leaked out of the seal.

jharvey1984

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so did pressure test an drive held 15 psi for 10 minutes when I stopped test so the seals are good. have another question as I was putting her back together. Will star a new thread.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you overfill the drive the extra oil often ends up in the bellows when it gets hot.