1972 Glastron volvo B18 Questions ?

MarioTwins

Seaman
I have my intro thread here http://forums.iboats.com/forum/other/dockside-chat/10286681-new-to-the-forum-saying-hello

but i have some more slightly technical questions now
and im sure as i progress with this project i will have more.

anyways here goes couple simple ones to start

does this motor not have motor mounts ?
it appears to be suspended by the transom plate ?

second question
the oil cooler on this, its the first stop from the impeller and somoenes removed the inlet hose
my question is
what holds this thing in place ?
heres 2 photos one with it set in palce and the other slightly pulled out.
i cant see anywhere where a bold or any kind of way to fasten this in place ?
i feel im clearly over looking something ?

well thats all for now

i asked in my intro thread about the leg kind of but i dont think this was an orignal option on this boat ?

it has 280 on it ? but maybe thats just the cover ?

im also in need of a wiring diagram if someone has one handy. i feel there are a few wiring gremlins that need to be worked out.
motor wont crank with key but will if i jump the starter.

sorry i feel like im rambling now but questions keep coming to mind as i type here

i think someone really messed with he wiring on this
is this boat going to be positive ground or negitive ?

the red wire goes to the block (i feel thjis has been replaced with a red one)
and black to starter with a smaller red wire comming off of it to trim motor

when i picked it up PO had red on positve for the battery and it cranked after i noticed this i switched it to negitive ground configuration,
everything electrical that does work right now still works.

i may just rewire the entire thing,

anyways sorry for the long winded post.
hoping i can get some answers out of this though, and will be posting more as i go

Thanks

Dave

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
The engine is hung from the stern plate. You could add motor mounts but not sure why you would. The bracket for the oil cooler water supply line is attached to the block on the vertical axis. You'll find a threaded hole there is you keep looking.

As far as wiring, yes, it's negative ground. I ended up building a new wiring harness for mine. The diagram is in the manual. There are differences, so you need to make sure that what you're using matches your engine. It's over 40+ years old so expect to find quite a few problems. In fact, as many of us have found, you won't completely know about any of the systems until you go through them completely. Loose and corroded fittings, bad switches, and broken wires will show up. Best to just assume everything needs attention. Unfortunately, "as found" is not always the correct way to do things. It may have worked for the time being, but that doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. It's hard telling what people have done with that boat over the past 40 years.

Your outdrive is most likely a 270. Your cover is from a different model. Nice part is that many parts are interchangeable.

Good luck with it. Many of us here have survived the initial pains with these engines and drives and are enjoying running them.

MarioTwins

Seaman
Thanks the PO said the leg had been replaced before so who knows on that too
GLad to hear parts will interchange

Is there a source online for a manual ?

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:

MarioTwins

Seaman
The engine is hung from the stern plate. You could add motor mounts but not sure why you would. The bracket for the oil cooler water supply line is attached to the block on the vertical axis. You'll find a threaded hole there is you keep looking.

seems like it could pop off and just pump water difrectly into the hull lol. will look again next time i have it opened up. thank you

Thanks been looking everywhere for one, im asuming aq105a 115a 130abc 165 170 will be the correct manual, looks correct from photos (all i know is mine is a B18 no idea what aq# it would be ?)
will save it and give it a good read.

Thanks

Dave

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
My current boat has a Volvo Penta engine and outdrive... but I am more of a Mercruiser guy normally. I don't know all of the various names for the Volvo products. I know enough to get me in trouble at this point. ;) Several on here are pretty knowledgeable and will help as you go along.

captmello

Captain
It appears to be an aq130C...but I thought they used the B20 block. Maybe PP40 can confirm this. The outdrive looks like a mixture of parts. Good luck!

MarioTwins

Seaman
I was told at one point the leg dropped while driving and it was repaird or replaced. So maybe it is a mix of parts

And yea. All I ever find is aq130 info but it's a B20. I guess all parts and info would be the same though

Thanks

Dave

captmello

Captain
I was told at one point the leg dropped while driving and it was repaird or replaced.

As it should, that outdrive does not have power trim and if left up should go down if driven at any speed above idle. You should be able to push it down by hand while on the trailer.

MarioTwins

Seaman
Got a little time into the boat today, not much accomplished really but

i reached to the far back of the bilge and grabbed a big handful of gunk and what felt like a big coin :p
i knew right away what it was :(

i have no idea how i missed this before guess i never had my head low enough to look

hopefully this is an easy repair ? ive never done one, will still continue to try and get it running
still want to redo most of the wiring but the weather hasent been great latley.

i may be getting my carport back soon and i will move it into there and i will be able to plug away here and there more easy.
the boat itself is all wrapped up now so kind of a pain

on a side note my kicker runs amazing

Thanks

Dave

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hopefully block isn't cracked.

You likely have the B20 engine which looks identical to the B18 since its the exact same block but bored out more.

MarioTwins

Seaman
As seen here I now have the carbs torn down a little bit
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...glastron-boat-project?p=10330760#post10330760

Earlier on in that thread i posted a short vid of it firing up

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums...Boat/CD1F24D5-9D9D-488E-A57D-D564A5707A98.mp4

I am curios about the card now though never seen anything like it

Do these carbs require the air filters be on to function properly ?

Not sure if i should keep both these threads alive ? I started favoring the other one to try and keep everything together ?

If anyone has answers please let me know.

Thanks

Dave

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Carburetors are Solex 44 PA1. Just put it into google and you'll come up with quite a bit of information and how to's. Take that top gasket off and remove the "candy cane". These carbs are simple but don't like dirt and varnish buildup in the passages. When cleaning them, make sure ALL the passages are cleaned out. Once that accelerator nozzle is removed, you can see how it is connected to the accel chamber and diaphram. For cleaning, I've disassembled mine and put them in a 1 gallon can of carb cleaner. Then use a nylon brush to clean everything up and use compressed air to make sure all the passages are clean. I might be a little anal, but I also clean mine in soapy water as well and then paint them.

When it comes to carb parts, there are aftermarket kits out there and they seem to be pretty much the same. Be aware that the fuel line banjo bolt washers are aluminum crush washers and are a one use item..I buy them in a package of 10 or so from Jegs or other suppliers. That particular connection can be frustrating because of the angle. It's easy to cross thread the carb or banjo bolt. Doing so will not make your day get any better so be careful.

Looking at your picture, make sure you remove that emulsion jet (the one in the middle of the throat) and clean the jet and the passageway.

Those carbs don't have a choke so it makes the engines a little cold blooded. However, If everything is clean and well adjusted, it really isn't that big a problem. At high elevations with temps close to freezing, a sniff of starter fluid at the air intake can make a big difference. The rest of the people in the boat and at the ramp will appreciate it!