How much water should typically drain out of GL-J intake manifold drain plug?

Aar0n

Cadet
Hey there. I hesitated to start yet another draining/winterization thread, but I can't find an answer to my exact question in any existing threads.

So, I've been working on winterizing my 2008 Four Winns H180 with a Volvo Penta 4.3 GL-J (manufactured March 2008) for the first time as we purchased it this past spring. Following the instructions in my owner's manual and the below thread, I pulled the blue plugs from either side of the engine block and from each exhaust manifold. A strong, steady flow of water drained from all four, just as I expected. I then pulled the hoses off the raw water pump, which also drained an expected amount of water. Then I pulled the large hose off the engine water circulation pump (at both the pump end and the thermostat housing end for good measure), again an expected amount of water drained. Lastly, I pulled the intake manifold drain plug (which, after fighting with the original one I'm replacing with a brass hex head plug per Don S' recommendation) and lowered the bow of the boat as far down as it would go and well...no water came out. OK, a very slight trickle amounting to no more than just a few drops of water did come out. But I expected more. I checked for obstructions by sticking my little finger in as far as it would go, and while there was a little corrosion obvious near the end of the threads, there was no blockage as far as I could tell.

I'll be keeping the boat in an attached garage over the winter, but it does occasionally get down to near 0* F outside here in Utah over the winter, so I want to make sure all water that will come out of the entire system is out. So, My question for any who have more experience than I do is this:

Should more water have come out of my intake manifold drain at the point I ended up removing it during the process or is it likely nothing to speak of came out because I did it last and the majority of the water in the intake manifold drained at the time I pulled the engine block plugs?

Thanks in advance!

Aar0n

Cadet
No Title

​Oops, I meant to add this picture of my intake manifold drain to the original post in case it's helpful. As you can see, the hole is wet, but again, no water really flowed out of the drain.photo253226.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Not a VP dude but I do understand that it would be a good idea to check for water, I don't really expect to see much if any. The reason being is that hole was used with other GM water pumps that had a 90 degree hose to the top of the pump. Either side of the hole are rectangular water jackets which drain into the head, and then into the block. My assumption would be that pulling the block plugs would drain the block including the intake.

Tipping the nose down is a good idea because the main water jacket is forward, so tipping down makes all water run forward and down. As DonS mentioned, if it was his he would do it, and he is the guy that would know. He also mentioned about the drive home and sloshing around.

Aar0n

Cadet
Thanks. Like I said, I've pulled it, just thought more water would come out (but that's not based on any technical knowledge or past experience as your reasoning is), so I'll take your word for it. :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Not much, about 6-8 ounces total. Just enough water to cause a problem if you didnt drain it

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The Vortec engines all seem to have that extra drain plug in the front of the manifold that the older non-Vortec engines did not have. I know on the old style when you drained the block it drained the manifold too. If you really wanted to make sure you could stick a stiff wire in the drain hole to make sure all the water was out. When you replace that plug put either marine grease or OMC gasket sealer on the threads, that will help it come out easier next time. I do that on all the brass plugs on my old engine. Even with salt water use they come out.

Aar0n

Cadet
Not much, about 6-8 ounces total. Just enough water to cause a problem if you didnt drain it

Are you saying I should have had 6-8 oz come out? I had what amounted to a few drops. But I pulled the intake manifold plug last.

Aar0n

Cadet
The Vortec engines all seem to have that extra drain plug in the front of the manifold that the older non-Vortec engines did not have. I know on the old style when you drained the block it drained the manifold too. If you really wanted to make sure you could stick a stiff wire in the drain hole to make sure all the water was out. When you replace that plug put either marine grease or OMC gasket sealer on the threads, that will help it come out easier next time. I do that on all the brass plugs on my old engine. Even with salt water use they come out.

Thanks. Good tip. I'm hoping nothing came out because, to your point, it all drained through the engine block drains before l pulled the intake manifold drain plug.