Sticky trim pump?

Drvwybter

Cadet
Never had a trim pump issue. 1996 penta duo prop. PO has bypassed trim module. Went to pull up out drive. I stopped half way through lifting to answer phone. 10 mins later, all I had was a solenoid click. Changed battery (brand new spare). No change. Hit pump with my ratchet. Now its working. Cannot duplicate. Ideas? Also, can someone direct me to more info on this trim module. It just flashes all lights at me. I have yet to unbypass it.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Clean all the connections (ground & supply) then swap the solenoid for a known good one, if problem is still there, take the motor off and check the brushes. Sounds like they might be sticking.

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is that the trim module that acts as a adjustable limit switch to keep the out drive from hitting swim step? I think the above post meant relays, that the spades get dirty , clean and use dialectic grease on them

Drvwybter

Cadet
Yes. I do believe it is to set stop points. The trim gauge does not function. I assume they are tied together. However its a vdo cluster so who knows if that's the case. Does this thing even need to exist? Full up hits nothing. No swim deck installed. I guess I'll be pulling the pump. Changed solenoid just for kicks. Bench tested old solenoid many times,let it sit in the fridge, never stuck, ran a heat gun to it. Never failed. Boat is trailered so I cant risk not being able to lift at the end of the day.

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't know why they are installed as a limit devise if they are not needed. I had one because of swim step and failed repeatedly and hit swim step. Yes the trim sender signals the module. I got tired of the mess and just removed it and installed stops inside of tilt cylinders

Drvwybter

Cadet
I like that idea. I do not like modules on boats. I can mark the gauge with a sharpie where I need to stop.

Pete104

Lieutenant
I too think he means "relays". Those contacts must be clean. But it sounds more like brushes anyway.

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yea I was thinking when he hit pump it may have jarred relays and started working, those relay contacts can be a problem around a salt environment

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
( A solenoid switch, which is a specific type of relay that internally uses an electromechanical solenoid to operate an electrical switch; for example, an automobile starter solenoid, or a linear solenoid, which is an electromechanical solenoid.) From Wiki.

I'm British, yes I'll call them relays from now on.

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
( A solenoid switch, which is a specific type of relay that internally uses an electromechanical solenoid to operate an electrical switch; for example, an automobile starter solenoid[/URL], or a linear solenoid, which is an electromechanical solenoid.) From Wiki.

I'm British, yes I'll call them relays from now on.

Your exactly right, after over 30 years working on semi trucks and equipment I hear solenoid I think of starter or high amp remote solenoid and I forget the relay is just a miniature version of it

Drvwybter

Cadet
When energized, both get magnetized and give some mechanical movement. In a relay, this mechanical movement is used to turn on/off a switch contacts while in a solenoid, the mechanical movement is used for some other work like opening / closing a door etc. I think we are a bit off topic. Someone know where to buy a rebuild kit? I have to remove rotted wood this winter. I will include the trim pump rebuild and findings then. Thanks for the help! Any final words on removing this trim module?

Last edited: