Cone Clutch - SX-M

Mnoverboard

Seaman
Gonna have a go at replacing the cone clutch this weekend if time permits. The service bulletin states that when installing the new cone, Do Not re install the C clip, spring washer, and spring. I don't know if I can get to the c clip and spacer without a special tool to remove the lower gear set. Has anybody simply removed the spring and left the c clip and spacer in place? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
The spring holds the keeper down on the c clip. it would vibrate around causing wear and adding debris to your oil. Best advice is leave the spring if you cant remove the c clip and spring keeper.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Let me know how the project goes and if you have any advise. I have an occasional forward engagement delay I fear is the cone going away.

Mnoverboard

Seaman
Will do. Cone has arrived... Just waiting on the gaskets and o rings I ordered. Hopefully this week.

dlk4602

Cadet
How big a job was it to change out the cone clutch. My drive just started having problem engaging forward gear. I need to rev up the engine a little to get it to engage. Are there any special tools required to do the job?

Mnoverboard

Seaman
Took me about 3 hours taking my time. As far as special tools, you'll need to make some sort of stand for the drive, and a 30mm socket. Once the top cover was removed (4 bolts) I loosened the left hand nut while the drive was still on the boat with the help of a breaker bar and buddy bracing the prop. Pulled the drive and put it on the stand and removed the shift mechanism (4bolts). Then loosen but don't remove the 4 bolts holding the pinion carrier. You only need to slide it back about 1/4" so you can lift out the upper (reverse) gearset. Once you lift out the upper gear set you'll be looking at the cone and forward gear set. Remove the cone and I lightly sanded the forward gearcup to remove the glazing that was present. There's a bulletin that calls for removal of the spring, washer and clip under the cone. You'll need special tools to do this, so I left mine installed as is. Put ' er all back together with a new cone and shift shoe, and make sure you keep track of the shims. I then pressure tested, filled with outdrive oil and you're done. Overall degree of difficulty 4/10