Swapping internals on blown block?

Jhilton0816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I recently bought a 2001 Larson 210 Sei for 4 grand, it has 2 year old motor but the block is cracked due to previous owner not winterizing it and ended up trading it in at this dealership. I bought the boat to swap its out drive over to replace my bad out drive on my Larson 234 escape.

Well now I'm planning on fixing this boat to either keep or sell, it's interior is in incredible condition as is the boat for its age.

I have an old previous block from my other boat that I removed because the Pistons were cracked...... I'm wondering since the engine is fairly new on the boat I bought if I can swap the blocks to have the engine good to go. Also anyone know a good place to get a Volvo out drive for a v8 engine? Not looking to spend over 4 grand on one.

Also long time ago mechanic told me he thinks this is a crack on my old block, what do y'all think? He used a flat head to scrape at the paint to see it better.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt222/jeremy_hilton2/IMG_0522_zps89f2h89d.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ebay or craigslist for a drive, however its never a good idea to swap used pistons from one block to the next.

you would be better served with a used truck motor for $300 and install brass core plugs and marine gaskets than trying that. A rebuilt SBC can be had under $1500.

you could always go with a complete SEI package

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
A cracked block is not always junk. Often you can clean it off very very well and use MarineTex or JB weld applied over the crack and it will seal it up and work perfectly fine.
I would bet there are hundreds if not a few thousand boats engines like this.

Jhilton0816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ebay or craigslist for a drive, however its never a good idea to swap used pistons from one block to the next.

you would be better served with a used truck motor for $300 and install brass core plugs and marine gaskets than trying that. A rebuilt SBC can be had under $1500.

you could always go with a complete SEI package

Complete Sei package..?
And a truck motor wouldn't last very long at all though, even though the boat isn't as big as my deck boat and won't take much to get it going.

Also I figured it wouldn't hurt since the engine literally had under 120ish hours on it before the guy didn't winterize.

Also does that look like a cracked block?, I've only seen one block messed up from not being winterized before and it was blown out you could see the internals haha

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
as far as the cracked block goes...? That's a bad angle to get an assessment. Can you take a better, straight on picture? I would buy a rebuild short block from a local guy (make sure they know it's for a marine application). bolt on all the heads and accessories and give it go? If the out drive is bad scour ebay, craigslist and see what you can find?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Complete Sei package..?
And a truck motor wouldn't last very long at all though, even though the boat isn't as big as my deck boat and won't take much to get it going.

Also I figured it wouldn't hurt since the engine literally had under 120ish hours on it before the guy didn't winterize.

Also does that look like a cracked block?, I've only seen one block messed up from not being winterized before and it was blown out you could see the internals haha

your boat motor is a truck motor with marine exhaust and accessories on it. comes out of the exact same parts bins at the Tonawanda engine plant. marine motors get brass core plugs and stainless MLS head gaskets, truck motors get steel core plugs and until recently composite head gaskets. a truck cam is nearly identical to your marine cam.

hours dont matter if it was run at all, used parts cant go into another block unless you remachine. pistons, rings, bearings, timing chain, oil pump are all a one-time use thing as they are picked by the specific dimensions the cracked remanufactured motor was machined to, rods, cam/lifters, crank can be reused once inspected and remachined as required.

so if you get a core block from your local machine shop for about $200, new cast pistons and rings for $400, new bearings for $120, new timing chain for $60 new oil pump for $40, new gaskets for $95, $40 for brass core plugs, block bore/hone/clean for $170, crank grind is about $120, rod conditioning about $140 and then you can assemble it yourself. or for about $180-220 the machine shop will assemble. this is assuming your heads are in perfect shape.

If it was me, I would go to LKQ, get a running truck motor for $300, degrease the motor, pull the intake and exhaust manifolds (sell on craigslist for a few $), discard the truck water pump and brackets, pull the heads, change the gaskets and core plugs for the $135, install all the external accessories from your cracked block and have the boat back together for under $500

Then I would look for a drive.