Re power time, local builder or mega crate company (center state )

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a vortex 5.0GL (carb) Volvo Penta and recently cracked a head. Has 1600 salt water hours so it time for new motor. Originally I was gonna buy a new long block from mega crate seller leading contender was center state ( it about 2.5hr north of me). But a local guy ( Anthony's marine) told me he could build a motor for 4 k installed with new pistons and heads. Him and a couple other local builders said the new long blocks are Chinese and crap but not sure I buy that. I can certainly swap the stuff over but gotta pay somebody to pull it drop it in. Can I legitimately get same life outta a rebuilt one assuming it's done correctly?

RobertThoreson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To me, I'd rather rebuild. It IS cheaper than new and if it is all measured, it would be practically new. Plus if you have a little room in the budget, you can upgrade a little

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The new blocks are made in the US and Canada.and Mexico.
Salt water use?
​The rebuilt salt water blocks I'd stay away from.
Contact your local GM dealer and talk to the parts guy.

​I used to buy the crate motors and marinize them.

I used to get them already changed over but they were more expensive.

mikeneal

I talked to local gm dealer parts guy and he wasn't any help, but I could try another I suppose The local rebuilder I am thinking of claims he only used auto blocks and therefore no internal corrosion. I asked because obviously my 1600hr salt water block is a anchor and sure would t want it used again. The rebuke option is a donor block with new heads.
The new blocks are made in the US and Canada.and Mexico.
Salt water use?
​The rebuilt salt water blocks I'd stay away from.
Contact your local GM dealer and talk to the parts guy.

​I used to buy the crate motors and marinize them.

I used to get them already changed over but they were more expensive.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Me personally have never cared about the hours on a motor. If it was running strong before the cracked head issue, I would just replace the head and keep going. Just be sure to get the smaller 305 head if you're only going to do the one side. A set of 350 heads would bolt right on. A set of reworked heads can be had in my area for less than $400.00. The block can easily be cleaned and flushed well while still in the boat with the heads off. I did mine with decent size hose on my shop vac and went through each of the cooling ports. Worked out well. FelPro PermaTorque Marine head gaskets are fantastic when it gets put back together should you chose to go this route. Good Luck.

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd find or rebuild a 350, if I were going to replace the engine.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
I would put a reman 5.7 back in. Everything from the 5.0 will bolt on and being a carb makes it super easy.
Check out Michigan Motorz. $2400+ shipping. Guessing a couple hundred bucks to get it to ya and it has a 12month unlimited hour warranty.
Very well regarded in the marine engine industry.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
X2 for Michigan motorz. I bought a 5.0 silver partial engine package last fall to replace a cracked block from the previous owner. This was a new GM base engine ( yes made in Mexico). Nice package had everything I needed, swaged accessories off old engine, poured gas down the carb and it fired right up. Just getting down now enjoying the summer at the lake, will be winterizing this weekend...

Bottom line they tweaked the package for me, was a quick ship, and gave me a few bucks back for my cracked long block. Would spend money there again in the future.

mikeneal

I bought a new 5.7 long block with intake from Center State. I went with them because they had a dist warehouse about 2.5hr north of me so was easy to go pick it up. I am in the process of swapping everything over, as with anything salt water its taking longer than I woulda thought but its going. Center State recommended you check valve lash after 10hrs, that seems odd to me since its a roller cam setup, anyone have an opinion on that?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
If the valves are quiet after 10 hrs the lash is fine, if they make noise adjust...

mikeneal

The kongblock is dressed and ready to fire on the stand tomorrow. ( got late and started to rain). Man oh man, with corrosion and , drive hiccups this was harder than I woulda thought. I used free tool rental from autozone and primed oiling system and just eyeballed the TDC on number one and set dist little ahead, anyone do anything other than that? May try to jump the electric pump pump and fill the carb.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have a vortex 5.0GL (carb) Volvo Penta and recently cracked a head. Has 1600 salt water hours so it time for new motor.

Howdy, If it were me, I would get a good low miles wrecking yard truck 350, swap all the marine stuff over, and install a San Juan closed cooling system with the money I save and go boating. With closed cooling, you won't even need brass core plugs, marine head gaskets or marine circulating pump (although I would probably replace the core plugs anyway) !

A truck 350 will likely perform at least as good as any 305 and probably much better.

Cheers,

Rick

Just saw you bought a "Kongblock"! I would still put closed cooling on it!

Good luck with the new engine!

mikeneal

Opps, yeah, not akongblock, typo. I fired it up on the stand and ran it for about 15min today. Then had to go to work. Sounded good and no issues.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
And, if it was an OMC King Kobra, you could call it a King Kongblock!:facepalm::facepalm:....Oh, my mistake, this is the Volva forum!