Volvo SX-CT1 (1996) Needs New Transom Shield and Gimbal

sms1976

Cadet
Hi- First time poster here, but have appreciated these forums and the information they contain.

I bought a 1996 Seaswirl 208 Bowrider with 4.3L Volvo Penta SX Cobra that needed some fiberglass repair, and came to find that the transom shield and gimbal are both cracked. It seems these parts are pretty expensive from Volvo, so I'm hoping to find out how interchangeable other Volvo SX or OMC Cobra parts are on this. I've searched and found some info on OMC's working with the Volvo Outdrive in that era, but I wanted to know what years would work with mine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

sms1976

Cadet
Here are some images of the damage to the transom shield and gimbal. Sorry if this isn't the right way to upload photos...
IMG_2520.jpg IMG_2525.JPG IMG_2547.jpg IMG_2523.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2547.jpg
    IMG_2547.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2523.JPG
    IMG_2523.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2525.JPG
    IMG_2525.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2520.jpg
    IMG_2520.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 0

sms1976

Cadet
Doing more digging and I found that there are several parts that cross-reference with the OMC's of that era, but not sure if they're backwards compatible. Marine Parts Express lists a 3851976 "Housing" several times with an assortment of OMC versions. Are there issues with shift linkages, water, or steering if I end up finding an OMC version? There are very few parts for boats in Montana :facepalm:

Last edited:

sms1976

Cadet
I got the outdrive off and found that the u-joint shaft that goes through the transom is slightly bent about 3" from the end, in the splines. Probably happened when the outdrive got hit and broke the transom shield. I'll find a new (or used) one of those.

So I have two more questions...Is it possible to determine if the female spline (inside the transom) is okay? I have read that I will need an alignment tool, but I'm not sure that will tell me if something is bent inside. Secondly, will I need to remove the engine to get that transom shield off?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
If the shaft got yanked out of the coupler and twisted sideways its a safe bet its kaput. While the engine is out repairing the shield and drive it just makes sense to replace it. You will also likely find if not right away, not too far into the future your drive will start to leak down as the trim system is designed to take the impact force but it doesn't like it and doesn't seal internally like it should causing it to leak down or fall under load or overnight on a trailer.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
I bought my transom assembly by calling boat shop after boat shop (about 20). The replacement from michiganmotorz is pricey. I paid $1,000.00 for an older style and it mounts to the newer style out drive. SX-M and DP-SM are compatible. I'd have to go through my emails for the exact part numbers. There are some other differences as well...

sms1976

Cadet
Thanks guys; I'm going to pull the trim hoses so everything is off of the transom shield and assess from there.

bigbrownbuku, are you saying that the trim cylinders themselves would fail internally (or otherwise)? Some of the transom shields/gimbal housing assemblies have those included so I might be okay there unless you meant they'd fail elsewhere.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Even if you must reuse your trim cylinders, there are rebuilt kits readily available on ebay...cheap, that would be the time to do it.

sms1976

Cadet
Thanks bajaunderground. I'll look into those.

Quick update...With the outdrive off, I took the boat to a fiberglass shop to look over some of the damage I am planning on fixing. Long story short, I might have found a good motor (and other parts) switch candidate and will make one good boat out of two bad ones. We'll see if that pans out, and if I can figure out how to pull a 4.3GL out of one and put it in the other. If I can do it, it'll save me a bit of time and money. And I'll have a bunch of Volvo Penta parts to sell on eBay.