1996 Volvo 7.4l gl fuel pump relay harness

Cmcbride

Recruit
Hello all! Pls let there be someone that knows this??

Fuel pump does not seem to work and think it might not have worked since at least a year?? Possible?

Boat has been sluggish and have been chasing performance issues as it has trouble getting up on plane.

I replaced the fuel filter thinking that might be an issue. Did not refill the filter as I did not have a spare can of gas. I know bad Craig!

Turned the key and no sound from the fuel pump. Cranked it. Ran perfectly. About 2 min later. Went dead. No fuel.

Jumped power to fuel pump and it sounds good, but still does not seem to pump fuel.

Removed fuel pump and screen looks clear.

Checked wires going to relay harness and information on the side of the relay says that positive wire for power to the pimp should be going to 87a? But it is currently going to 87. Was I given the wrong relay?? Wiring diagrams that I have den on this site show that 87 is the right connector for the power?

Should I just move the power wire to 87a?

Replaced
Can't seem to find out correct wiring to the relay pins. I am and wiring to those pins. What I can't find

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
volvo_fuel_pump_relay.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The fuel pump will not be on with just the key on. That will only happen while cranking or once the engine starts.

You can always pull the relay out and jumper pin 30 to 87 as a test to see if the pump runs.

Cmcbride

Recruit
Thanks. I had thought that it was to oump the carbs up when the key was on. Did jump those pins and the oump does turn on but does not pump fuel.when I remove the pump and do it there is no auction from it.

Should I try to fill the fuel filter up with gas and try again or should rebound self prime?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Only fuel injection models turn on with the key.

It should self prime but I always pre fill mine. I always prefill mine.

Cmcbride

Recruit
On the new relay it shows pin 87 is not connected to anywhere but 87a does.
Is this the wrong relay or am I just reading it wrong?

Tried to post pic but size limitations of file will not allow me.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The side of the relay is just showing that the 87A is the NC and the 87 is the NO contacts.

NC=Normally closed and NO = normally opened.

You have the correct relay.

87A is not being used for your fuel pump.