got a free boat!95 Harris FloteDek w/Volvo Penta 5.8fsi-hasnt been ran since 09 help!

formula01

Cadet
Ok so a friend from Church gave me this boat. Its a project but it looks promising. Motor was replaced in 08 as well as sterndrive. Throttle cable broke and its sat since. 10 hours on replaced motor.

First thing i did was make sure the motor wasnt seized before i got it. Lone behold turned by hand.

So i want to get this bad boy going again but parts are hard to find, so can i use some parts from ford ? Its a 351 from a truck. Can i use an oil filter for a ford truck?

I found the fuel water seperator at west marine

The only other thing i was gonna so is when i replace the plugs , was spray some wd40 in the cylinders since its been sitting so long.

Anything else i should do? Hopefully the injectors arent stuck closed

Also is this system closed or open loop? If its closed can i use normal coolant?

formula01

Cadet
spent 6 hours pressure washing it today. gonna replace the upholstrey and hopefully dont need any major major work to the motor or outdrive

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
My only comment is I would spray fogging oil instead of WD40 into the cylinders. Fogging oil is meant to coat the inside of the engine.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
Replace the impeller before sending chunks of the old one through the cooling system.