Volvo 5.7Gi-E whines then stalls

utexlonghorn

Recruit
Need some help diagnosing this issue.

https://youtu.be/x76_5zccNy4

215 hours on the engine. Here's what I have done so far: Changed the IAC, impeller and oil sending unit. Checked the oil. Looks clean and was changed 2 seasons ago by a reliable boat mechanic. I haven't changed it since as I've only put about 25 hours on the engine. Oil pressure is on the low side near 0 at idle at normal running temp but picks up to just under 40 when I throttle the engine. I'm going to try a new gauge is weekend. Haven't had any oil pressure alarms go off.

From the video you can hear the whine of the engine and it starts to seize shortly after. I've heard this whine could be the fuel pump failing. I've read other blogs that have talked about the dreaded whine of the fuel pump. They read that these pumps were painted on the inside and the ethanol in our current gas chips the paint and clogs the filter.

My mechanic recommended that we replace the engine with a long block. Obviously not my most economical option as this is a low use motor and boat. I know the record history on this boat since new and it's never had major mechanical repair.

Please help!

utexlonghorn

Recruit
More info...
Engine didn't blow up in the video. This is a video of the symptom action up. I killed the engine just after I cut the video and started it back up. Runs normally in most conditions unless it sits in idle for a period of time (5 minute or more) then the whine starts. If I kill the engine and start it back up with a kick of the throttle it seems to alleviate the problem. But it returns if idling again. I could be wrong on the timing of the oil change I think I did get it done last season. The mechanic at my marina didn't say the oil looked bad but I'm asking him on the oil change again to see his thoughts. May just get it done. My mechanic doesn't seem to suspect oil pump or anything else. He in fact couldn't give me a solution other than replacement. I know there's a better option.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
The fact that it goes away when you throttle up...sounds more like bearing whine? Fuel pump whine was higher pitched on mine?

utexlonghorn

Recruit
I should have described it better. When I throttle up it doesn't immediately go away. Many times it sputters like its starving for gas then kicks in because of the rush of new gas. The best way I can describe it that it sounds like the engine is starving for gas or vapor lock. But that's my very amateur opinion.

Last edited:

utexlonghorn

Recruit
bigbrownbuku I appreciate you redirecting me back to the old thread. What I am asking though is whether the whine I have sounds like what others have heard. I've also heard it may be a bearing. Please clarify.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Remove your belt and rotate all your pulleys by hand, if its a bearing its one of those. Your video isnt great quality but it sounds like a fuel pump because a fuel pump problem is the most likely cause of the rough running in the video.

Thalasso

Commander
If only the noise was as loud as the people talking in the background