AQ200 Ujoint Bellows replacement

maloburro

Cadet
Hello, I recently purchased a 1968 IMP Aztec V with what I believe to be a Volvo AQ200 based on serial and a 302 that seems to be nonoriginal. It's complete but has needed some attention. I finally got a gas tank hooked up properly (I hope) and was hoping to try it on the lake when I found the Ujoint bellows has nice big cracks in it.

My questions is how difficult of a DIY job is this? I read this thread http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...moval?t=309095 and it sounds like it's not that bad but I don't want to pull it apart and make it worse. I have done some engine and tranny work in the past, nothing major, replaced a small tranny and clutch on old sportscar and done minor top end work on V8s. Is this something worth trying or should I bite the bullet and have a shop do it? I've found many helpful threads from this forum through Google and I appreciate the knowledge base here. Thank you.

Ryan

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

if you can understand righty tighty lefty loosy, that is half the battle. the bellows is really quite easy, however if the bellows have cracks and tears, the u-joint shaft may have rust on it. if that is the case, it will take out the input shaft seal.

that shaft replacement and seal replacement is a bit more difficult than just the bellows.

maloburro

Cadet
Thanks for the reply Scott. Maybe I'll give it a try. I need to get all the parts together. I was thinking I could at least open it up and take a look and if there is rust put it back together and take it to a shop. The boat came from Reno and the drive was stored in the up position so I'm hoping it won't be bad in there.

maloburro

Cadet
So I did it thanks to this board! I did the Uj bellows and the bearing looked good. The UJs had rust but oh well. I took it to the lake today, paid the $22 and was ready for the test run and realized I forgot gas! Oh well. It floated. It's probably good I had no gas because I found a new issue. There's a 5/8 - 3/4 hole on the bottom right of the drive housing, to the right of the exhaust bellows. It seems like there should be a hose or a plug there but it's open and letting water into the bilge. I'm sure there's a logical explanation, I just don't know what it is. Any ideas?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You need to have 5 posts to add pictures to the thread.
Post again and then add a few pics.

Might be???

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Would be a good idea to get a manual or at least look the up schematics for your drive. Here's a link to schematics here on iboats:

maloburro

Cadet
No Title

Here is the hole. Just to the starboard side of the exhaust bellows.

Attachments

• photo252137.jpeg
    photo252137.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 0

maloburro

Cadet
No Title

Here is another view with the drain plug in the bottom.

Attachments

• photo252138.jpeg
    photo252138.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 0

maloburro

Cadet
When I look it on schematic it looks like #29 exhaust pipe so I'm going to start it and see if it blows.

maloburro

Cadet
No Title

I meant to post this snip to show it.

Attachments

• photo252207.jpeg
    photo252207.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

843235 exhaust pipe/hose.
Might be a different part#??
It has a lip that squeezes together to keep water out.

Attachments

• photo252241.jpg
    photo252241.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0

maloburro

Cadet
843235 exhaust pipe/hose.
Might be a different part#??
It has a lip that squeezes together to keep water out
Interesting. It definitely feels like there may be some residual rubber in the hole. Like a hose was once there. I'm assuming the part goes on from the inside and fits over the manifold somehow.

I found an aq225 schematic that has a similar part 897773 titled "water outlet pipe".

Last edited:

maloburro

Cadet
Well it's definitely an exhaust hole/tube. I'm not sure if I'm getting a leak in there but I started it today and it blew exhaust out. I'll keep looking for the right schematic and part number.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
814473 it could also be a rubber plug???
Pics of the transom assy.
​Pics of the drive?
Pics of the motor and inside transom.

The pics you posted weren't the best.
More light??

​Sent U a PM.