Vacuum Gauge setup on AQ130c

normanr25

Seaman
Hi All
I have just purchased a vacuum gauge for my old AQ130c and it says connect as close to inlet manifold as possible could some kind member tell me where the closest connection is, sorry guys for being a bit of an idiot but I have never used one of these before especially on a marine engine.

Thanks
Norman

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like the VP experts are not showing up as yet. That said, there are no vacuum ports on most marine engines of this year.

Maybe bruceb58 or muc can help out

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are you trying to measure intake manifold vac or raw water pickup vac. And why?

normanr25

Seaman
Hi Guys
Thanks for the reply's but just wanted to check the engine over with this vacuum gauge to make sure engine is in fairly good condition considering the age of it.
I have been told it is going to give me a good insight into various problems regards ignition system,fuel control system etc.

normanr25

Seaman
To enlarge on what I have just replied the reason I want to use this is what are testers for They are for finding non visual faults do you not agree
I have had problems with the engine cutting out at low revs and loosing power,I have done a compression check and I am getting 170-148-170and 170 so two is down a bit did a wet test and it stayed the same so appears piston rings are ok
I have done the usual checks and replaced plugs,plug leads,coil,distributor cap,rotor arm and serviced both carbs with the kits with all the jets and diaphragms etc.

I still have a problem which is starting from cold so I want to know if I have a problem that this vacuum tester should tell me ie do I Leaking vacuum lines plus a few more problems that a vacuum tester will pick up that is not visual

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
There might be a pipe plug somewhere on the intake manifold that you remove and install a hose barb to connect a vacuum gauge to, there usually is but I'm not sure on AQ130C. you could take a look at service manual p/n 7723640 it might show where that plug is?
The vacuum gauge isn't going to tell you anything you don't already know ----- your engine needs a valve adjustment or a valve job.
Might want to do a cylinder leakdown test to find out if you should look close at the intake or exhaust valve in #2

normanr25

Seaman
Many thanks Muc
I have adjusted the valves so will do as you say I have downloaded the service manual from the Volvo site so will do some looking when I can get on the boat again.

This is a great forum but in all fairness these are very old engines now, I know parts are getting increasingly harder to obtain I may start looking for an engine I can match to the 270 leg I have on the boat.

Happy boating all
Norman

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
There is no vacuum port on the AQ130. As far as cold starts, there are no chokes on the Solex carbs, so yes, it will be hard to start when cold. Best thing to do is go with an electronic spark conversion kit. Hot Spark and Pertronics both make good units. Make sure your timing is set correctly and that the timing does in fact advance.

Make sure the carbs are tuned correctly. Takes a little bit of finesse, but it's not hard to set the idle mixture and idle. Then make sure that your accelerator pump linkages are set correctly. Several of the hold down bolts can be a challenge to tighten. If you need to, remove the valve cover to tighten them correctly and eliminate any vacuum leaks at the base of the carbs.

You will need to find out what your particular engine like for cold startup. Might be just one or two pumps of the throttle, and then hold it 1/3rd of the way open. Experiment with it and see what works best for your boat. At the high mountain lakes on cold mornings, I've given mine a shot or two of starting fluid. Use at your own risk, just don't over do it.

As far as parts being hard to find. Yes, it can be a bit of a challenge, but not really that hard to find normal maintenance parts. Believe me, tuneups get MUCH cheaper once you get rid of the points and condenser. Google is your friend. Even finding parts for an engine rebuild isn't that hard.

normanr25

Seaman
Great advice many thanks for taking the time to reply,I think I will go down the electronic ignition road because as you say far more reliable,when I did the carbs and plug lead change etc all I had to do was one pump and it would start first time but after doing a long weekend of 10 hours running that was 5 hours each way after laying up for a few days that was when it would not start from cold as it should.

I have found as other members have said it is very easy to flood these engines so I have tried different things but just annoyed after all my work of giving the engine a good going through and running brilliant and now back to bad cold starting once started it will start on the button all day so back to the drawing board as they say LOL.
Norman

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes one pump is enough sometimes 200 isn't?
​Are you turning the motor over as you pump?

If the anti-siphon valve is bad and the fuel leaks back down into the tank
when you move the throttle your not pushing any fuel.

Remove the flame arrestor and look down inside as you pump.
Any fuel in there?

Since it's new you you!!!
I'd remove the manifold and do a flow test and inspect the end of the manifold.

They also have been known to corrode around the #4 exhaust port and it eats the head around the #4 port.
Install new gaskets if you do.

I was working on a newer motor.
The engine looked AMAZING!!
I reached in and touched the manifold and poked a hole in the beautiful black paint.
The only thing holding it together was the paint.

This unit uses the old log style manifold and shouldn't have the problem I ran into.

normanr25

Seaman
Thanks more information for me to work on (what would we do without these forums) you can always depend on plenty of help from this forum, if the engine is fairly good for the age why change it is what I am thinking I have been told these old Volvo B20 were a sturdy old lump