Manifold leaking water

alvinals5

Seaman Apprentice
Volvo Penta 225 1987 Exhaust Riser Manifold leaking bolts are tight possible gasket needs replacement ??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Or replacement. When was the last time you pulled the risers to inspect?

alvinals5

Seaman Apprentice
Only had boat two years never pulled them notice water stain on both sides but really saw-water leaking for the first time after checking it while under pressure leaving marina

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Both my manifolds had small holes rusted through the risers, the gaskets were still good. Don't leave it too long as water leaking into the cylinders via the exhaust manifolds can be very expensive to fix!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
do you boat in salt water or fresh water?

alvinals5

Seaman Apprentice
Fresh water Took it out today an their was no leak that I could see but their are rust stained water marks on both sides

Scott Danforth

Staff member
with fresh water, could just be the gasket failing after 30 years. either way, pull the risers and inspect.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
did you pull the manifolds and risers to inspect? if not, do so

alvinals5

Seaman Apprentice
Trying not to get in over my head can it be that the riser an or gasket could be the problem without pulling the manifolds

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Start by pulling the risers and work from there. Its not rocket science. If you have to pull the manifolds, then you pull the manifolds

castaic piper

Seaman Apprentice
Pull the risers like everyone else says. I use a flat file to deck the surfaces after you remove the gaskets. Dont forget to use anti seize on the bolt threads when reinstalling them.

alvinals5

Seaman Apprentice
Turns out it was a bad gasket so I replaced both to bad I didn't know about anti seize if it would had helped I was toqueing the bolts as bad luck would have it snaped one but the sun was shinning an when I took it back off the broken part of the bolt backed with no problem Their is a God