I have a 1990 gastron sierra 175, I don't know how to fill the trim pump.

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where is the fill cap or plug on its thing?

Attachments

• photo250997.jpg
    photo250997.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250998.jpg
    photo250998.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0

Thalasso

Commander
What is that plug on the side just above the hydraulic lines and next to the red cable?
Model number of pump?

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
It unscrews and there is oil in there, I am assuming that it is the fill hole, I thought it might be a vent. I think the valve body on my pump is bad, or I have air in the system. The drive slowly drops, it takes about 3 hours to drop, sometimes it takes an hour, sometimes it takes 10 minutes, its very erratic. either way it still slowly drops and I am not visibly losing any fluid.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
2 main possibilities piston seals letting fluid past or debris in the pump valve/s

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had some wiring issues and unmounted the pump. I was using it while laying on its side. Is there a possibility that the check valves were not sealing properly when on its side? I have since mounted it and it helped but, it still slowly leaks over night.

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
Slowly drops over night is what I meant, no visible leaks.

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
Vice grip rubber line that is the high pressure up, L.U. does not drop.

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
I applied the vice grips about 4 inches forward of where it screws in to the pump, could the hose be leaky without visibly seeing a leak, or am I looking at replacing valve body? Pump j1171, cylindrical with black metal res.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
your vice grip test shows that the leak is in the valve body
Volvo sells a special tool to preform this test. They feel that vice gripping the hydraulic line has a high probability of damaging it. Might want to keep an eye on that area of the line.
j1171 is most likely the coast guard approval standard for explosion proofing.
will most likely need the TSK (transom plate) serial number to find the right part number.

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
Aq290 outdrive I think? I'm pretty sure that valve in there is bad, I used a towel with the vice grips, it worked really well actually. I know the pump is a prestolite.

muc

most places that sell this part won't let you return it if you order the wrong one. so it might be a good idea to do better than "AQ290 I think"
If you check out the sticky's at the top of the page, I think there is info on how to find your serial number or at least the model number.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You might have this kind?
The prestolite pumps.
The hyd. pump has release valves in it.
They are very tiny and rubber.
99% of the time a drift down problem is the seals/valves.

The actual pump there is usually nothing you or I can do but screw it up.
The relief/release can be repaired.

I'll post a link at the bottom.

To fill the oil.
Drive down.
Open the fill.
Add oil and replace the cap.

Cycle it up and down.
It's self bleeding and should expel any air in the lines.

Force 3-wire Tilt and Trim system with shock absorber system "test & repair" procedures. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...trim-drop-help

​The post is over on the Force Forum.
Read the Force and Chrysler FAQ and great information.

muc

I had thought this system was supposed to be in the up position when checking and adjust trim fluid level. I might be wrong, maybe you can check your owners or service manual?

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought so too, I think it's gonna be easier just to replace the pump. I only worry about the hydraulic hoses fitting in the pump.

muc

Might want to use a flare nut wrench ---- that hose is tough to replace if it gets damaged.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
This type of pump the oil returns to the reservoir when the drive is lowered.
​If you add fluid when the drive is up and then lower it you can push fluid up into the motor part of the pump.
No space for excess oil.

muc

Not sure what that number is for. Might be an aftermarket P/N. I have found that the best way to order a part is to get the OEM (in this case Volvo) part number first and than cross that to a aftermarket P/N. This method increases the chances of getting the right part.

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the pump apart, sure enough, the rubber valve on the hexagonal check valve was disentegrated. I have a question about 2 other valves that I messed with. I loosened them to blow them out and check for debris and could not remember the setting. I have sent thus pick of the 2 nuts that I loosened.