Volvo D4 fuel problem

33hotrod

Recruit
Looking for some sage council on this one. Have a 2006 Albemarle 242 with D4-260-C engine that shuts down when on Port fuel tank at 1/2 full. Have just finished testing that tank by connecting external fuel transfer pump to tank fitting and was able to completely empty the tank without a problem. I therefore conclude tank is not the problem. Once engine shuts down I have to switch tanks via fuel cross over valve and re-prime pump. Engine got me home then but I have not run it extensively since then for fear of being stranded again.
In reading Volvo manual, I noted that the fuel pump has a LP (7.5 psi) suction pump side as well as the high side. Have changed water/fuel separator filter as well as water sensor but problem still there.
Considering possible scenarios like: Leaking fuel line/s, cracked fuel filter housing, weak fuel pump &???
Looking for some experience with this problem to better direct my efforts in resolving as boat is sweet but problem is sour!
Many thanks
Don

alldodge

Staff member
Since it only happens on the port tank my first thoughts are either, the anti-siphon valve or the vent line. If the anti-siphon valve is sticking it will make the fuel pump work harder, and if it's a vent line then the tank may be drawing a vacuum.

When you shift to the other tank, does the fuel return line also switch?