Sliding sleeve cone clutch replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poco2

Cadet
I have a 2006 Four Winns H200 with a VP 5.0 GXI and SX-M. Is it possible to replace the sliding sleeve (cone clutch) without removing the outdrive from the boat?
If so could you direct me to a procedure. I have an online service manual that shows upper unit disassembly but it first removes the outdrive from the boat and removing lower unit and mounting in a special holding tool. Then it shows removing the shift assembly (which I have done). Removing the drive shaft nut then lifting the bearing and top gear out to access the cone clutch. I have the nut loose but not removed.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Poco2

Cadet
I will answer my own question. No you can't. When you try to lift the top bearing/gear it goes up about 1/8 inch then the portion of the gear below the gear itself hits the pinion gear. The pinion gear must be removed(or moved back some). That requires removing the upper drive unit to access the pinion carrier. I am going to make a drive support then remove the six bolts holding the upper drive. If I move it forward some and can access the pinion carrier bolts I will loosen them, move the carrier back some and try to lift the gear out. if successful then i can replace the cone clutch.

I still don't know why it failed so soon. The insides look clean. No metal flakes. Clean VP proper gear oil. Shift cable properly adjusted. Someone mentioned that the manual says to replace the gear set with the cone. I can see no reason to do so.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
You need to pull the double bearing box out ... AKA the drive gear bearing assembly before you can tear down the driven gear assembly. Something IS out of adjustment as these clutches are simple and no way you have the hours on that drive to wear out the clutch assebly

Poco2

Cadet
The procedure I mentioned above does work. The pinion gear bearing housing will move back enough, without completely removing the bolts, to pull the upper bearing and gear out. Then lift the cone clutch out. It was visibly worn and the new clutch solved the problem. I agree it should not have worn out so quickly. I do not know why it did. I am the second owner. The first owner took it to the dealer every year for service. He has no clue what they did and did not save any receipts. Since I have owned it we used only vp oils in the engine and drive. When this problem first occurred I did adjust the cable but the damage was already done. The cable when in neutral was slightly toward forward gear. The whole system is very sloppy but the shift system has detents. It is possible the neutral detent was not reached when in neutral and it caused the premature wear. I'm just guessing. It now has the new cone clutch and the shift cable is properly adjusted and it has new vp 75w/90 synthetic gear oil. We shall see. I will keep a close eye on it in the years to come.

crenche

Recruit
I will answer my own question. No you can't. When you try to lift the top bearing/gear it goes up about 1/8 inch then the portion of the gear below the gear itself hits the pinion gear. The pinion gear must be removed(or moved back some). That requires removing the upper drive unit to access the pinion carrier. I am going to make a drive support then remove the six bolts holding the upper drive. If I move it forward some and can access the pinion carrier bolts I will loosen them, move the carrier back some and try to lift the gear out. if successful then i can replace the cone clutch.

I still don't know why it failed so soon. The insides look clean. No metal flakes. Clean VP proper gear oil. Shift cable properly adjusted. Someone mentioned that the manual says to replace the gear set with the cone. I can see no reason to do so.
Hey poco
How did you get that nut off the top? Did you use the prop to hold the drive gear without separating the outdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.