Engine swaps/ drive repair/swap

Jhilton0816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So here's the story. My Volvo sx-m out drive gears got locked. Found a crack in the cover as well that must've had water get in in the past. Which made me thing gimbal bearing was bad bad due to sound but found out it was my drives gears due to not being able to start it after turning it off. So
The drive is removed and yes the shaft won't turn.

Now I'm left with a few options. Boat mechanic is willing to sell me a boat the same year as mine except it's a Larson round about instead of my deck boat. The reason he's selling it to me is because they sold it two years ago with a new motor in it for 16,500 customer didn't winterize it last year and cracked the block. They gave him 4500 on trade in. Now this boat that has a bad 5.0 gi Volvo engine in it, has the same out drive as mine, and it's in good working condition.

So since to get mine rebuilt will cost me about $4000-6500. He offered to sell me the boat and swap the drive over for me.

I thought about it and it makes sense, this way if I run into any other parts that need to be replaced I can just swap them over for the most part.

Or I can go buy a refurbished out drive for like. 4 grand.

Now my other questions are how hard is it to rebuild my old drive. The mechanic won't take it apart and look at it because he said Volvo drives require special limits and so on. And that they are easy to mess up when you open it. Unlike a Mercruiser.

Is it feasible, is there a guide on how to rebuild the whole out drive so I can make sure my metalshavings are gone if I have any like in the lower.

I'm asking this because either one I can rebuild it and just use it for my current boat, or rebuild it and put it on the one I'm buying, and replace that cracked block 5.0 with a 5.7l the same as the one I have in my deck boat.

Is replacing a 5.0 with a 5.7 ok, will I be able to use the same risers and everything off the 5.0 and just swap it over to the 5.7gsi or whatever.
When I replaced my 5.7 gsi in my deck boat last year the mechanic I got it through, got the block and heads through marine power magazine.

I just have so many questions and decisions to make here. Because I can end up with two boats and one for parts. Or I can end up having two boats that work and sell one off. Considering new engine and refurbished out drive will run me 6 grand if I do the labor