Overheating - 2004 Volvo Penta 5.0 Gxi-E (Model 3869255, Serial 4012114055)

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
I noticed water dripping from the weep hole on the water pump and made the decision to purchase the rebuild (bearing and seal ) kit on Amazon for about $65 and do it myself. At the time I noticed the weeping, the engine was not overheating.

I made the decision to "down" the boat and rebuild the pump before there was a more serious cooling problem. I also thought that it made sense to replace the thermostat at the same time. During the installation of the new bearing, during rebuild of the water pump, I lacked the correct size pipe to tap the new bearing into place. I used a slightly smaller pvc pipe that resulted in some deformation of the metal seal covered in rubber that covers the actual ball bearings. I removed the bent metal seal, added some grease to the bearings for good measure and proceeded with the rebuild. I manually rotated the the pump and did not notice any unusual resistance.

I reinstalled the pump and reconnected hoses. I ran the engine on the hose using the flush port on the starboard side of the engine for at least 20 minutes. The temperature was stable at about 140 degrees on the gauge. I attempted to use the boat today in the warm salt water. The water temp at the ramp was about 90 degrees. Outside air temp was about 92 degrees. I warmed the engine at idle while tied to the dock for about ten minutes. The engine temp gauge was reading a stable 150~160 degrees. We left the dock and proceeded to depart the marina area. The engine temp (at gauge) began to gradually rise and stabilized at about 200 degrees when I made the decision to return to the dock. We never left the marina and we never went above the slowest idle speed possible. The entire duration of our short ride, from departing the dock to returning to the dock was about fifteen minutes. I quickly touched the water hoses at the thermostat area and also quickly touched the manifolds. The water hoses felt pretty hot and the manifolds felt warmer than usual. We returned home, allowed the engine to cool completely.

This afternoon I attached the ear muff flush to the outdrive, disconnected the water hoses from the water pump, and with the engine off, turned the water on full open at the spigot. No water exited either of the water hoses that were attached to the water pump.

I have ordered a new water pump rebuild kit, assuming that the damage I caused during my first rebuild experience may the culprit since the engine was not overheating until I had the great idea to fix a problem that was developing before it was really a problem.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• photo249387.jpg
    photo249387.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
I wish it were that simple. That was the first thing I checked. I just removed the impeller housing (only) and will have a look at it but it was brand new and has under 1 hour on it.

I also removed the thermostat housing to have another look at it. All hoses were reconnected as they were before and there was no overheat problem before I decided to rebuild the pump.

Only thing I could think of is if the fins on the impeller were leaning the wrong direction of rotation? But, it seams on a new, flexible impeller they would simply flip to the correct direction once the engine was running?

What really stumps me is there was no overheat previously. I saw the tracing in the engine compartment, looked into it, discovered the weeping water from the bearing and rebuilt it. Now it overheats

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here are a few pics after removal this afternoon

Attachments

• photo249438.jpg
    photo249438.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 0

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

More pic.... New impeller (less than 1hour) after removal

Attachments

• photo249439.jpg
    photo249439.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 0

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
The fins will correct themselves. I would make sure the thermostat is in the correctly. Try back flushing the hoses going to the pump. I'm surprised no water came out on the muffs. You do have the proper rectangular shaped Volvo flush muff?

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
I have never done a backflush but I am assuming you mean take the garden hose insert it in the hose I pulled off and turn it on ?

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
That impeller doesn't appear to be OEM. I have had 2 separate issues using after market impellers on 2 different boats. 1st one: I would get water flow while on the muffs for about 5 -10 min. After that it was like I turned off the faucet. I checked everything and it was driving me nuts as I could find nothing amiss and the impeller looked fine. After messing with it for a week, I put the old impeller back in and didn't have another issue. Next boat: Changed Oem out and installed after market- New impeller lasted about 10 hours. Noticed things getting hot before leaving the dock, took out of water and checked impeller, Thing came apart. Cleaned out mess and put the old OEM back in: No further issues. These impellers are the Achilles Tendon of our cooling systems. I will now use Volvo OEM for them each time.

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

This is what I am currently using (pic)

Attachments

• photo249458.png
    photo249458.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249459.png
    photo249459.png
    272.7 KB · Views: 0

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
I ordered the OEM impeller. Should arrive Wednesday afternoon. Will try to take pics of both, side by side and let you know any obvious differences.

In the meantime, does anyone have any other thoughts regarding the overheat?

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
What was the condition of the old impeller? Was any blades missing? The problem you described really look like a restriction in the water passage, clogged exhaust manifolds or water pickup/pump cover allowing air in.

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
The old impeller had one small piece missing from one blade. Keep in mind there was no overheat prior to impeller replacement. I rebuilt water pump because the bearing seal was leaking through the weep hole and slinging salt water in engine compartment. The bearing was going to fail at some point as it was rusted but turning when I removed it.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the temperature stabilized at 200 I would put back the old thermostat and give it a try.

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Side by side comparison of Stay Cool Pumps impeller (Left) and Volvo Penta impeller (Right) pics attached Comments: the VP impeller seems to be a little more "stout" in the fin blades. Not by much but slightly thicker in the fins. Could make a difference and going to install it but not sure if it will make a difference in my overheat condition.

Attachments

• photo249968.jpeg
    photo249968.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249969.jpg
    photo249969.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Seems to be fixed! Held steady on 45 minute ride to island. Verified with thermal gun. Pic

Attachments

• photo250014.jpeg
    photo250014.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 0