Starter spinning fast but not engaging ? 4.3GL

birdpiper

Seaman Apprentice
Volvo Penta 1999 4.3GL PWTR

We replaced the starter a few weeks ago and the boat was starting great except for this unresolved issue (see link below). I went out last night and it appeared the battery was dead due to the bilge pump running from recent storms so I hooked it up to a charger/starter. After doing that the starter just spins fast and does not engage. A few times it sounded like it might ?almost? engage, but not enough to turn the engine. This is a brand new starter ugggggggg! :-(

The battery appears to be ok. We swapped out with a car battery just to try and it did the same thing (spun fast).

Is there anything else that I can check before pulling the starter and having it bench tested? Relay? Ground? It is a pain to get to the starter on the bottom of the engine, so if there are a few things that I can check ahead of time I would like to attempt.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ystem-“trips”-and-electrical-system-goes-dead

alldodge

Staff member
What I'm reading is you turn the key, the starter starts spinning but the motor does not turn

You use a standard GM staggered pattern starter. Power is applied via the solenoid, and the starter will not spin unless the solenoid is engaged. So I'm thinking you either have some broken teeth on the starter or ring gear.

To see if its the ring gear or starter teeth, try to rotate the motor clockwise facing the motor a little bit, only need about an inch. If the starter engages and turns the motor the ring gear may be missing some teeth. If the starter just spins its probably the starter. That said it still seems your going to have to pull the starter

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like the bendix is hung up. This is a solenoid that kicks the starter gear into the flywheel gear. Sometimes a couple of well placed hammer taps on the starter will get it to work a few times. But time for a new starter.