Points to pertronix swap help..

mopower440

Seaman
I have a 1986 bayliner capri 1950 with the Volvo Penta AQ225E engine. It has the stock prestolite distributor with points. I am going to swap to the petronix ignitor2. Now, do i need to get another coil to use with the petronix? If so, they have a kit with the coil recommended for the ignitor. Next, will i still need a ballast resistor and if i do, can i use the stock one or is it not the right resistance?
Last, Can i keep whats left of my points in the glove box on the boat for an emergency to swap in just in case the petronix fails out on the water or will it be too much to swap back in a hurry?

thanks

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Loose the ballest resistor. Put in a 12v "performance" coil from the auto store. Wouldn't bother keeping the points.

mopower440

Seaman
anyone know of a good but inexpensive coil that will work with it without the resistor?

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any "performance" coil. Think I got one called a flame thrower from orilies when I did the swap. I don't think coils need to be marine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do yourself a huge favor and just get a Delco Voyager distributor. Way more reliable then the Pertronix.

Buy the time you buy the coil and the Pertronix itself, a coil, new wire, cap and rotor you can spend a little more and buy a brand new distributor. Pertronix is still using your old worn out distributor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5-7L-350...xVWguP&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

mopower440

Seaman
That is an electronic spark timing distributor..Dont I have to have a PCM to control it?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
They can be stand alone and the ECM can control it in addition. There is a connector on this distributor that can be used by the ECM to retard spark in the event that a knock sensor detects knock and the ECM tells the distributor to retard the spark. On boats like yours, that input is not connected and it acts "stand alone".

All spark advance based on RM is done within the distributor.

Same distributor is used on most GM engines put out by Volvo and Mercruiser. Some are controlled by an ECM and some are not.

mopower440

Seaman
They can be stand alone and the ECM can control it in addition. There is a connector on this distributor that can be used by the ECM to retard spark in the event that a knock sensor detects knock and the ECM tells the distributor to retard the spark. On boats like yours, that input is not connected and it acts "stand alone".

All spark advance based on RM is done within the distributor.

Same distributor is used on most GM engines put out by Volvo and Mercruiser. Some are controlled by an ECM and some are not.

will the advance be right like my old points distributor? Im afraid the advance may be too aggressive for my older engine compared to the engines these distributors actually came in..you tell me??

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Should be very similar.

I will look to see if I can find a chart.

Last edited:

mopower440

Seaman
New, its too expensive for me right now. Wish i could find a used setup, but the only used ones i know of are automotive ones. Too bad i couldnt find the advance setup from a marine one because i can get the whole automotive setup cheap from the junk yard, but the advance wont be correct for marine applications..

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Depends on if you are planning on replacing your existing cap, rotor and wires too. Then it's not a whole lot more.

mopower440

Seaman
about the delco voyager electronic distributor...seeing that they used that distributor on the vortec small blocks that had the center bolt valve covers...will it even work on my old style 350 that has the old perimeter bolt valve covers? Do the teeth on the distributor shaft work with the older cam in the older engine?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yep...works fine.

1967 to current as long as it's standard rotation.

Last edited:

mopower440

Seaman
Being its EST, how can it work with no PCM to control it? Also, will the advance be too much OR too aggressive compared to my old points distributor?

mopower440

Seaman
I answered this in post #11.

Bruce, I know you said in post 11 they can be stand alone, but im asking HOW they can be stand alone being the advance is electronically controlled...wouldn't the thing require something to control it or does it ALSO have mechanical advance weights in it for non PCM machines?