Help! Gimbal part #

vfrkent

Seaman
I have a 2005 Volvo Penta GXi 5.0 With SX-M 1.60 outdrive, I have looked on the iboats web site and called the parts department and they can't find a gimbal bearing for the unit, does anybody know what the part # is for that gimabal bearing and if there's any pros or cons to the Sierra part?

Regards,
Kent

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Go to marinepartseurope.com
You can find your engine, drive and volvo part nnumbers.
thats were I go to find part nnumbers

vfrkent

Seaman
Thanks for the source, they also did not list a gimbal bearing, they list the engine parts and the drive parts but nothing from the gimbal.

Regards,
Kent

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I just spent way more time than I dreamed, lookin' for yer bearin',.....

This is the only thing I could find, even on Volvo parts sites,... iboats included,...
Motors, 'n drives, but nary any transom assembly parts anywhere,....

The Sierra paper catalog lists it as 18-2100, but it don't come up at iboats,...

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I was told that there should be a serial number for the transom shield on your boat. Mine didn't have one of course so I get to guess at what parts mine will take. If you happen to have a tag with the numbers, I am told any dealer can get your parts. As for me, I'm screwed ad there are no records of my transom shield serial numbers even from Glastron.

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Kent,

As long as it is a SX-M not a SX-A (I can't remember the exact transition year), the Gimbal Bearing part you need is:

388855 (if you don't have a grease fitting on the side of the transom shield, this is a sealed bearing. It can be used even if you do have a zerk fitting)

or:

21752712 (This is for transom shields with the zero fitting).

In this case I would buy the OEM Volvo Part. Sierra use to use good quality Link Belt bearings but have since switched to some chinese product. I purchased one a year ago and I wasn't pleased with the quality. The OEM bearing was noticeably more robust.

Last edited:

vfrkent

Seaman
Thank you guy's, why is it something that is considered a common part is not so easy to track down? Anyway thanks to all who responded I have one on the way now.

Regards,
Kent