Volvo Penta 501a Barr Exhaust Rise Torque

Hook'd

Seaman
I've searched high and low for the correct procedure for replacing the exhaust riser gaskets. So far I've installed Volvo gaskets and torqued the existing bolts to 15'#. I used anti seize compound on the bolts. Anyone know the correct torque?

I will call Barr tomorrow and post.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If memory serves me correctly, the riser bolts are 5/16 grade 8, so 20 lb-ft of torque (251 lb-in per my bolt charts)

however you have lubricated the bolts with anti seize, so use the wet torque max of 18 lb-ft

Last edited:

davidlees

Seaman Apprentice
I just replaced my manifolds and risers on a Volvo 5.7. I had a question and called Barr and they told me 35- 40 torque on the risers.

Hook'd

Seaman
Pay attention to the markings on the bolt heads. Google it before you trust the bolts unless you purchased them. They should be grade 8 and have 6 radial lines. I can say with certainty because I just snapped one at 15# which was not....duo oh. I'm ordering a set of Barr's tonight. I'm told 5/16 grade 8 torque is 23ft#, which jives with Scott above. 3/8 would be 30ft#. I will confirm with Barr tomorrow.

Last edited:

davidlees

Seaman Apprentice
I used the complete kit from Barr, manifolds, risers, and all hardware. The torque spec I listed was from Dave @ Barr Marine tech support.