Losing Power At Higher Speeds

mnjeepmale

Cadet
1999 Glastron Volvo Penta 5.0GL SX Drive. When I was out on the lake yesterday everything was running fine until I hit over 3500 RPM and over 35 mph the engine slows down like it's starving for fuel. Just fill the tank half full before launching yesterday with 91 octane. Fuel / Water separator filter was changed few weeks back.
Was told by a marine mechanic to look at the fuel line that connects to the carb to see if there is a fuel filter screen and clean or replace it. Any other suggestions?

Bondo

Staff member
Fuel / Water separator filter was changed few weeks back.

Ayuh,.... Pull the filter, 'n inspect it's Contents for things other than gasoline,....

Then slap on a fresh one, 'n try it,....

mnjeepmale

Cadet
Ayuh,.... Pull the filter, 'n inspect it's Contents for things other than gasoline,....

Then slap on a fresh one, 'n try it,....

I'll grab a new Volvo filter and try that. Never thought about putting a new water/fuel filter on.

mnjeepmale

Cadet
Well it's still happening. It's another season and still having the same results. Doesn't matter if i'm over 2000 rpm or 3500rpm.
I took it into the mechanic last year and so far they have rebuilt the carb, change the fuel/water filter, tried another fuel pump and still same results. When I increase the power if goes a little bit then feels like it's starving for fuel again.

Taking it back to the Marina today to have them look more into this issue. Anymore suggestions?

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class
If it doesn't happen for a little while after starting I'd suspect the vent line is not allowing sufficient air in the tank causing a vacuum. If the issue is right off the bat, I'd suspect the fuel pickup inside the tank or some other restriction before the carburetor. There may be a screen clogged at the fuel line / carb connection..??

mnjeepmale

Cadet
I'll give them those suggestions. Hope it's not difficult to check the fuel line since I just installed a new floor which covers the tank.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
New floor perhaps the vent line got kinked or pinched by accident.