Anyone installed a fuel sensor on their volvo penta?

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was getting ready to buy a Garmin gfs 10 fuel flow sensor for my 04 4.3gxi engine but was told that fuel meters are not compatible with fuel systems that use a fuel return. My thought that it would still meter the fuel that flows through the line attached to the meter, but it would read slightly higher than what was actually burned because some fuel would be returned to the tank. Anybody installed a fuel meter on your volvo engine? I'm wanting it to use for fuel efficiency to find out my best cruise speeds.

Thanks

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a FlowScan on my 5.0. But I do not have a fuel return to my tank. Are you running a diesel? If so FlowScan does make a system for diesel.

Thalasso

Commander
Thought fuel returns were only on diesel's?

Last edited:

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I answered your question and I have an I/O with a flow meter. You just can't do it with a fuel return.

Well, you said it was pointless. You offered nothing else. I understand how a fuel return system works. I also understand that the actually numbers would be lower due to fuel being recycled through the system. I've found a few people while searching the Internet who have installed a fuel meter system on their volvo. But they didn't give much info. Thanks for your reply.

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a FlowScan on my 5.0. But I do not have a fuel return to my tank. Are you running a diesel? If so FlowScan does make a system for diesel.

Thank you for the reply. No. I have a 4.3gxi which is gasoline engine. I've done a little more research and found that floscan does indeed make a fuel flow meter for the closed loop fuel returns and specially mentions the volvo penta. I was hoping to integrate my Garmin 741xs with a Garmin gfs 10 fuel flow meter but it appears that sensor is not compatible with the volvo penta EFI systems. Looks like I'd have to spend extra money for the floscan.

Last edited:

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Probably better off with the FloScan I also looked into the Garmin GFS10 but they will be the first to tell you that it does not read at less than 2GPH. The FloScan will read. It also has the integrated tach and hour meter. I have the 7000 model. They do make a 9000 model that will integrate with your gps.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Buy 2 and put one on the return line, then do the arithmetic if you are desperate!!

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
I installed one on the feed line before the fuel pump assembly. Really doesn't work all that well unless your running about 2500 RPM. At idle and up til about that speed it's using fuel from the pump and pulling not much from the tank. So not much flow. If you stuck it in the pressure or return line you'd never get a good read since fuel is constantly flowing at who knows what rate. I'll bet it's not a linear curve so you'd have different factors for different RPM's.
I've found that best economy vs speed is somewhere in the 30-40 mph range, 2800-3200 depending on the boat. Yeah, each one is a range, but you have to pick what makes a good ride too. I've owned several, props and jets and that was always the sweet spot.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
At idle and up til about that speed it's using fuel from the pump and pulling not much from the tank
That makes no sense unless you have an engine mounted fuel reservoir. What engine do you have?

Mine works perfectly at all engine speeds including idle. I have the Lowrance fuel sender. According to its specs, it is optimized down to 0.6GPH but can measure even less. It also needs to be mounted vertically to measure accurately.

My best fuel economy is at 3500 RPM in my Wellcraft. Totally boat/engine dependent.

Garmin wants you to install their's between the low side and high side fuel pumps. That makes life difficult for sure.

Last edited:

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That makes no sense unless you have an engine mounted fuel reservoir. What engine do you have?

Mine works perfectly at all engine speeds including idle. I have the Lowrance fuel sender. According to its specs, it is optimized down to 0.6GPH but can measure even less. It also needs to be mounted vertically to measure accurately.

My best fuel economy is at 3500 RPM in my Wellcraft. Totally boat/engine dependent.

Garmin wants you to install their's between the low side and high side fuel pumps. That makes life difficult for sure.

The volvo EFI engines have a fuel pump assembly which consists of a high and low fuel cell and a fuel canister which holds fuel coming back to the pump from what I remember off the top of my head. It's not a very reliable design. I found that floscan makes three different fuel flow sensors that will fit my engine specifically. Two are the ones mentioned before and one is a black box which integrates with my chart plotter. I like the integration idea but it's pricey at about a thousand dollars. Still better than wasting fuel. A tank full of mid grade is about 300 bucks right now so it would possibly pay for its self in just a summer.

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bruce, I have a 2001 5.0 Gi. It has that goofy fuel assembly that everyone has trouble with from paint chips. (Yes I've replaced it once). It has it's own small reservoir, the low pressure fills it and the high side draws from it, and that reservoir has a float assembly like a carb that shuts off flow when full, so fuel isn't always running through the pickup line at low power settings as the fuel also recirculates back onto that reservoir. The sending unit is not made for high pressure from and efi pump. My flow meter is made by Faria, and not nearly as sophisticated as the higher end units but functions enough at speed.

Last edited:

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found a volvo penta nmea 2000 retro fit box that I can put on the engine. It's part number 3889757. Supposedly it will connect to my chart plotter and do what I need it to do.

Last edited:

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an older model chart plotter that has the fuel flow option installed. It is inline between the gas tank and the input line to the fuel cell. My engine is a 2011 5.7GXi-JF the boat is a 2000 Four Winns. The fuel flow is "Spot on" when it comes to measuring fuel usage and most of them have a "Cal Function" that you can adjust. I.E, You have started with a known full tank and go boating till you decide to fill up again. Flow gage says you used XXX Gallons , gas pump says it took XXX to fill up. You go to the cal page and set the usage. Once you do this a couple times the thing will have you with-in 5% or so and it will be close enough to see what your best cruising RPMs are.

BellevilleMXZ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found a volvo penta nmea 2000 retro fit box that I can put on the engine. It's part number 3889757. Supposedly it will connect to my chart plotter and do what I need it to do.

Isnt that EVC compatible only? I thought only newer stuff was EVC

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
You are getting confused because of terminology. The gxi is an internal return system only. Install the,sensor before the engine mounted filter and you will be fine. There is no tank return. A tank return is what confuses things. On a side note why not just buy a diagnostic like diacom and get real time fuel usage and more. It plugs into the engine harness and displays on a laptop.

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You are getting confused because of terminology. The gxi is an internal return system only. Install the,sensor before the engine mounted filter and you will be fine. There is no tank return. A tank return is what confuses things. On a side note why not just buy a diagnostic like diacom and get real time fuel usage and more. It plugs into the engine harness and displays on a laptop.

Thanks you for your reply. I'm thinking the same as you. If fuel is not recirculating back into the fuel tank there shouldn't be an issue using a fuel flow meter. There's one line from the fuel tank and that goes to the fuel pump assembly. I'm going to call garmin on Tuesday and see what they say.