4.3GL-P dipstick tube retainer oil leak

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
2010 VP 4.3GL-P engine, serial: A151168. 102.4 hours

I noticed a small amount of oil sheen in the bilge today, floating on top of the tracked in water (from swimming). Upon inspection, I believe it is leaking from what I would call a "banjo bolt" which attaches the oil dipstick tube to the oil pan on the port side of the engine. The leak itself is either coming from between the oil pan and part #27 (washer) or between part #27 and part #28 as showing on this parts diagram:
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Oil-P...iew_id.1227832

Here is a view of my actual parts:
SAM_1236_zpsvxgqkj1l.jpg

SAM_1237_zpsxejfxb4e.jpg

here are the two mating surfaces where I suspect its leaking from (possibly from both)
suspects_zpsetq0gu9k.jpg

My plan is to drain the oil and use opportunity to do an oil change since I've got almost 30 hours on it anyway this season and I'm only half way through summer here. While its drained, I will replace parts 27, 29 (oring, probably the real culprit), and 30 and reassemble. I already tried tightening the bolt itself (part, 31, "retainer") and it gave me only about an 1/8th turn, but the leak persists. This is a very, very slow leak, not even a drip... more like a seep. This is how much oil had came through it after a 20 minute run back to the dock today:
SAM_1243_zpsgwzxiesh.jpg

So, its not much. I was originally worried it was the oil pan leaking, but I ran my hand and a shop rag around the entire mating surface between the block and pan and found no oil. Same with the oil filter hoses. The dipstick tube is the only place I can consistently find oil.

Any thoughts here, or is my plan sound?

Last edited:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Some better pictures after letting the boat sit all day. Pretty much confirms my leak source.
SAM_1252_zpsgsh9s6ig.jpg

SAM_1249_zpsysn1ocf3.jpg

Parts ordered from iboats (volvopentastore), just waiting on them to come in so I can fix this... Only remaining question is, would it be a good idea to butter the oil pan-side washer with some RTV or similar, to create a better seal? Good idea or bad idea?

Just seems hard to believe to me this leak could have spontaneously developed, seeing as it is an oring'ed bolt supposed to be doing the sealing, and that bolt has never been removed. Wondering if the painted flange face of the oil pan is contributing. I may remove the paint under where the inner washer contacts it.

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That looks like a steel washer and the wrong inner diameter at that.Maybe it has a rubber seal on it. Most I have seen are brass washers using a banjo fitting. Needs to come out and replaced anyway. Your lucky you can get access to it

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That looks like a steel washer and the wrong inner diameter at that.Maybe it has a rubber seal on it. Most I have seen are brass washers using a banjo fitting. Needs to come out and replaced anyway. Your lucky you can get access to it

Engine is completely factory, so if anything is the wrong part, it was done so on the assembly line.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Don't do Volvos, But,... Generally speakin' a banjo fittin' seals on copper, or plastic washers, one each side,....
Usually dependin' on pressures expected, which at that fittin' would be gravity,...

Those I suppose could be tinned copper,..??.... or not, donno,...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Could be a crush washer. Make sure you torque the new one to the specified torque with a torque wrench.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, could be a crush washer, but doesn't really look like. Although it's hard to tell installed. Will know more once I get the replacement parts in. One thing is for sure, it had better be a special washer, at the $12 it cost me.

I suspect though that the oring involved in this assembly is what is really responsible for sealing, and what has failed. Why, though, is another story.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Found a real life picture of the part in question, it's a sealing washer.
image_zpsn6yezuz0.jpeg

Guess the sealing portion just went bad. Although the fact that it doesn't appear centered on the flange as noted by Fishead could be contributing. Oh well, just waiting on iboats to ship the parts and should be an easy fix.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hope I can get one of my torque wrenches in there. For archival purposes (in case anyone comes across this thread down the line), the torque spec is 18 ft. lbs according to the service manual.
torque_zpsjfiw5le9.jpg

Parts have shipped and are supposed to be here Wednesday along with some Amsoil for her, so I'll tackle this Thursday.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Issue has been fixed. The sealing washer was not properly installed at the factory, leading it to be off center in relation to the retainer/banjo bolt. New sealing washer, oring, and backside washer courtesy iboats, and an oil and filter change. Ran it on the flush port for 30 minutes, zero oil leaking.

My bilge is happy again.