1974 Starcraft Holiday with Volvo 130 Starter Problem, First issue.,

Okay, so I recently just purchased a 1974 Starcraft Holiday with Volvo 130. All I have done so far is cleaned it up and cleaned out the gas tank and got new fuel lines, but when I turn the key nothing happens, so immediately I thought the starter must be bad, so I bought a new starter only to find out that the new starter doesn't "start" either. So I looked at the wiring Diagrams and traced some wires, I have power going to the starter and power to the ignition switch. When I turn the key 2 out of the 3 terminals become electrified (the one where the power comes in, and the one that lights up the oil light and the light by the tilt switch.) but the third terminal which goes to the shifter and then back to starter, and from what I have gathered I think this terminal should be " hot" and send current to the shift lever to make sure it is in neutral then to the starter to engage it. Is that correct? Any information will help. Also is there anything else I should do to the motor since it has been sitting for so long before I try to start it?

dozerII

Admiral
Welcome to the Starmada. :welcome: but your not a real member till we see pictures:D. Can you post some pictures of the starter and side of the motor. Have you tried using a screw driver across the start and battery terminals on the starter to see if it will turn over? There aren't many guys on here that are familiar with the Volvo. Bondo knows almost everything about them over in the Engine section under Volvo.

Bondo

Staff member
When I turn the key 2 out of the 3 terminals become electrified

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Use a short wire, 'n jumper the starter lug on the key switch, if the starter jumps, replace the key switch,.....