recomened oil

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know volvo recommends a 15w 50 synthetic or a 30w, I could not find that oil at my local store but did find this, Valvoline VR1 20W-50 Synthetic Racing Motor Oil.it is sj and api certified. would this be ok to use??? its on sale for $3.99 a qt.

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I believe you mentioned you have a 1999 4.3GL engine in another thread.

In a service bulletin Volvo recommended a switch to a 15w40 VDS-3 approved oil for all 2007 and older engines when they discontinued their straight 30w.

Rotella Triple Protection 15w-40, Delo LE 15w40, and many others are VDS-3 approved. I run the Rosella 15w-40 in my 1999 Volvo 5.0Gi and has performed perfectly for many seasons since the switch.

The Valvoline 20w-50 will certainly be fine, but especially for a 4.3 application will be a really heavy oil that is probably overkill.

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I believe you mentioned you have a 1999 4.3GL engine in another thread.

In a service bulletin Volvo recommended a switch to a 15w40 VDS-3 approved oil for all 2007 and older engines when they discontinued their straight 30w.

Rotella Triple Protection 15w-40, Delo LE 15w40, and many others are VDS-3 approved. I run the Rosella 15w-40 in my 1999 Volvo 5.0Gi and has performed perfectly for many seasons since the switch.

The Valvoline 20w-50 will certainly be fine, but especially for a 4.3 application will be a really heavy oil that is probably overkill.

I have to do the 20 hr oil change on the new engine, so I was thinking heavier the better.... thats why I asked, so Ill return it and look for some15w40 synthetic.

Last edited:

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have to do the 20 hr oil change on the new engine, so I was thinking heavier the better.... thats why I asked, so Ill return it and look for some15w40 synthetic.

All synthetic is going to do is allow you to extend your oil change intervals. You'd to just fine with conventional oil. But if synthetic gives you piece of mind then use it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
All synthetic is going to do is allow you to extend your oil change intervals. You'd to just fine with conventional oil. But if synthetic gives you piece of mind then use it.
Volvo recommends it for more than change intervals. Main reason is that conventional multi viscosity oils breakdown so you lose oil viscosity.

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Volvo recommends it for more than change intervals. Main reason is that conventional multi viscosity oils breakdown so you lose oil viscosity.

And for that reason I wouldn't run a regular dino multi grade. The diesel oils are just fine in a marine engine as they are HDEO's. Lots of people out there running dino HDEO in their marine engine without issue. Several used engine oil analyses prove it. It holds up fine as long as you change when you should.