Volvo Raw water pump hose connections leak

MyFormula

Cadet
I went thru a ton of posts which were a huge help! I have a friends boat I was working on, 1995 (?) Four Winns running a 4.3 GL I/O with a raw water pump. I just finished rebuilding the pump. Installing a new bearing, new axle seal w/spring, impeller and O-ring and everything sealed up great....BUT, the housing that the 2 hoses attach too are not solid brass, but plastic inserts into the brass housing. This creates a "seam" between the plastic part the hoses are attached too and the pump housing. The leak I am getting is from this seam. When I move the hoses slightly, the dripping will stop. Intake part has no leaks, just the bottom. Are these plastic hose attachments replaceable or does the entire pump housing have to be replaced? Are there any tricks to sealing this? I was thinking of gooping it up with 5200 but their is no guarantee it will seal such a small seam....I tried pushing the hose further on and double clamping to no success. Thank you in advance for any input.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I believe there is an "O" ring in there. Johnson Pumps make the pump for VP. Look up the Johnson pump catalogue and check out the 10 - 13236 pump although not quite the exact pump as it has been superseded by 10 - 13356 - 01 and 10 - 13353 - 01.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I used some 5 min epoxy on mine, seems to be doing fine.

MyFormula

Cadet
Well I found the actual part # should anyone is looking for it. Johnson pump Part # 10-13356-01. Attached to the pump housing are plastic hose connectors where the raw water and engine cooling hoses attach too. The plastic hose connectors are part#01-35856. Pump Type is listed as a F9B 3000VF. From a parts list, the plastic hose attachments may not be sold as a separate piece looking a a spare parts kit list. I need to call a place named Rose Marine out of Gloucester, MA which they have a 500+ page pdf catalog, page 287 is where the pump(s) are located.

Last edited:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you cannot get the part, (the original is barbed so probably not reusable) then the epoxy route should work or wrap some self amalgamating tape round the joint of the bronze and plastic, whilst you save up for a new pump!!!