Missing sensors and a ?

Bill with a seaswirl

Seaman Apprentice
Back again! So, the engine I'm putting in has nothing in it for sensors and such, does any one have a link th where all the wires go and the sensors that should be in there? I need to go buy all the sensors soon. 1998 seaswirl 250 aft cabin, 5.7 gs I have looked but just don't seem to be able to find it.

Second thing. What is the big electric box on the manifold that looks like it has a breaker switches in it. Has a round plug in the front of it. Clymer manuals suck

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You need to buy an OEM manual for your engine. What is your model number?

That box normally contains the breakers the the start assist solenoid but may vary depending on model. The plug is for the engine harness where the boats harness plugs into.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Bill with a seaswirl

Seaman Apprentice
boat info now has the volvo manuals on line http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html#
here is a link to get the factory OEM manual http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/Pages/publication_search.aspx

next question. why do you need a manual to know where the sensors go on a carbureted 5.7? water temp sensor (brown wire) goes in the intake manifold on starboard side. oil pressure sensor (blue wire) goes in the oil pressure port behind the intake manifold just port of the distributor
Main question in my head was if there was a knock sensor. I'll check out those links and I have to get a proper manual. The Clymer doesnt tell you much to say the least!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Did you have an engine in your boat and you replaced it with another one?

Bill with a seaswirl

Seaman Apprentice
Did you have an engine in your boat and you replaced it with another one?
The old motor cracked the block on the previous motor. I got an empty engine bay and a complete longblock with nothing on it other than intake, oil pan and water pump, timing cover. No hoses for the manifolds either.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So...I take it someone else took the old motor out and sold you the boat?

Bill with a seaswirl

Seaman Apprentice
So...I take it someone else took the old motor out and sold you the boat?
Correct, so i have no mental picture of what it is supposed to look like in there. No idea what I'm missing either until i stumble across it. Going to be a bit challenging but I'll get it figured out. Hopefully sooner than later!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Correct, so i have no mental picture of what it is supposed to look like in there. No idea what I'm missing either until i stumble across it. Going to be a bit challenging but I'll get it figured out. Hopefully sooner than later!
The problem with the manuals on boatinfo is that the circuit drawings are not in color like a real manual and almost impossible to read. I would invest in a set of real OEM paper manuals for your model.

Bill with a seaswirl

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the pointers so far folks! How about another q? The exh connection from the riser to the y pipe is missing...$$$$ What is the proper terminology for that piece? It's MIA.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Upper exhaust hose. Try part #3852596? 4 clamps on each hose.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
3852596 is a lower steering pivot bracket

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if its a 4" exhaust hose, they are common and cheap... if its the 3-3/4" exhaust hose, they are expensive. let me know if its the 3-3/4" diameter

Bill with a seaswirl

Seaman Apprentice
if its a 4" exhaust hose, they are common and cheap... if its the 3-3/4" exhaust hose, they are expensive. let me know if its the 3-3/4" diameter
So I measured the exterior diameter of the Sierra risers and the best I can tell is that they are 3-3/4 outside diameter. The y pipe diameter appears to be 3-1/2 inches. Would I be going in the right direction to have an exhaust shop fab some up for me?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
No need to fab anything. A piece of rubber exhaust hose goes between the two and is secured by two clamps.

3 and 3/4 hose on volvos is a bit more expensive than normal 4" hose

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I use 5 layer nomex and silicone 500 degree turbo hose. Its 1/2 the cost of the 250 degree exhaust hose. Hit up any diesel service center, or check eBay.

I picked up mine for $60 for a 4' length. Most places had the Volvo exhaust hoses at $50 Each when I was looking. Each hose should be about 8" long.

Bill with a seaswirl

Seaman Apprentice
I use 5 layer nomex and silicone 500 degree turbo hose. Its 1/2 the cost of the 250 degree exhaust hose. Hit up any diesel service center, or check eBay.

I picked up mine for $60 for a 4' length. Most places had the Volvo exhaust hoses at $50 Each when I was looking. Each hose should be about 8" long.

Good tip Scott! The Volvo counter guy even mentioned turbo hose. Man oh man is this getting to be quite the project... Was going to mount the alternator to check hose clearance issues, it's frozen solid and missing the mount that you adjust the tension on. Motor mount adjusting bolts are rusted to where there are no threads and so on.

This but a flesh wound!