1991 volvo penta 740A dies suddenly

Cobalt45

Recruit
I have a reacurring problem that has started recently. My engine dies at idle and will die driving on plain. Its like I hit a kill switch and it will just shut down. Most of time it will start back up and I can go a little ways then die again. There doesnt seem to be a pattern to this. It has even started dieing at idle. This sounds weird but it wasnt doing this when the water was cooler. I am at a loss right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Volvo Penta 740A 7.4 454 engine

I've done the following:
new water separator
new plugs
new distributor and cap
new battery
unhooked the neutral safety switch

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

It's probably a loose connection on the ground or power side. Start at the battery cables and clean both ends, including the ground side on the block. Check the connections on the distributor and coil, and also the grounding of the distributor. Then the 10 pin connector on the motor to the boat harness. Work your way around to the key switch.

Need to have a meter ready and when it dies check for voltage at the coil without touching the key. Not saying that when it does, the power doesn't come right back, just try to check right after it dies

Cobalt45

Recruit
Ok, I will try that. I did clean the battery connectors really well when I installed new battery. I'll work my way around and see if I can find anything corroded.