A Legal Question New Engine Blown

zenarrow

Cadet
So, I recently had a new engine put into my boat a replacement for my Volvo Penta . Was breaking it in as per the guidelines, when about 5 hours in (three different outings).
I had been checking everything over before and after each run, and checking pressures, temps etc.

While cruising about 2800 RPM's I heard a warning buzzer, dropped my speed immediately went into neutral, looked at the temp gauge 175 looked at my oil pressure gauge 0. Went to turn the key off and it did not sound good and it died.

Opened the engine compartment and the oil filter in line had come off at the crimp, not the fitting and dumped all the oil.

I took the boat to the place that took out the old engine and installed the new one, and he said they removed the lines from the fittings, which ok yeah I am sure they did, but they had to have messed around with the hoses in the first place, and who knows if maybe someone got western with the line if it was stubborn and did not loosen right away. Just curious what some of your opinions might be. Sure they can't be responsible for a hose crimp maybe, but they were the last ones to mess around with said lines. I am pretty sure the engine is not in good shape, just from the sound it was making.

History, I had the engine replaced, and they were able to reuse the exhaust manifolds. Everything except the block.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
legal questions are best asked to a lawyer.

zenarrow

Cadet
True I do believe legal questions are best for a lawyer, I thought about going to one first, before taking it down to him. But I thought it over and decided to take it down and have him take a look at it, as I don't want any animosity. If it was a mistake and they accept blame then no lawyer is needed. I just thought I would ask the boating community here about what they thought. I do not think these hoses just "come off" with out some other reason. Just curious on some info before and if I have to go to a lawyer. So what are peoples thoughts?

zenarrow

Cadet
I mean, if he says, "oh we didn't touch the crimped part of the hose". Should I just accept it and walk away. or do you think I should procure a lawyer? Do you think that the fault lays with who took off and put the hoses back on?

Maclin

Admiral
That crimp made it 5 more hours, hard to say what happened. How does the warranty on their work read? Did they recommend changing out anything else, like that high pressure hose? Putting new engine in with older components may be the killer for you.

tpenfield

Staff member
My thoughts . . .

Lawyers are expensive.

Do you know if the engine is really damaged?

The shop's liability will probably stop at the parts that they provided.

zenarrow

Cadet
That crimp made it 5 more hours, hard to say what happened. How does the warranty on their work read? Did they recommend changing out anything else, like that high pressure hose? Putting new engine in with older components may be the killer for you.

No they didn't recommend any other parts be replaced, in fact they stated that they could use the old exhaust manifold's which is connected to the oil filter intake lines. I don't want to have to use a lawyer, and I hated going down there and showing what had happened. But then again, I don't want to be out $5,000 either. Just a tough situation, I suppose.

Maclin

Admiral
Like Tpenfield, I was wondering if the engine's condition has been assessed?

BellevilleMXZ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well if its the style like mine, (u didnt say what year)the oil lines are a known issue, that they blow off. The crimp is different on the new ones. I read about it, looked at mine, and they had half slid off. I didn't run the boat again till I replaced them.

zenarrow

Cadet
Well thanks for every ones comments, I haven't heard back yet, but I just wanted some feedback before I went in there misinformed and make an ass-hat out of myself. Thanks again. Will let you know how it all unfolds. Cheers, Joe

Thalasso

Commander
If i remember right, In 2003-2004 Volvo had a lot of problems with the crimp connectors on the oil lines failing.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=99023 [/FONT][/FONT]
[h=3]BoaterEd - Volvo Penta Oil Filter Line Clamp Failure
sb_safeannotation.png
[/h]
www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=136200

Last edited:

zenarrow

Cadet
If i remember right, In 2003-2004 Volvo had a lot of problems with the crimp connectors on the oil lines failing.

Mine is a 2004....... UPDATE !! Took it to the shop, they replaced both hoses, filled it with oil and filter ran it for an Hour and a Half, dropped the filter and everything seems alright !!! So happy, no lawyers !!!