Wouldn't start, then flooded.. 5.7 volvo penta 2 barrel holley carb

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Weirdest thing happened today. First off, I went to start the boat at the dock and it wouldn't start. I had to spray a little carb cleaner in the carb to get it to kick over and fire and it ran fine after that. We drove across the lake and parked for a couple hours. Then we started up (fired right up), and tubed for a bit with lots of idling. lots of acceleration, etc. We then drove to another section of the lake, anchored, swam for an hour, and then left to go dock. It fired right up and ran across the lake to the dock. As we were approaching the dock, my wife drops to idle and it dies. I pulled the flame arrester off and fuel is dumping into the carb. Finally able to get it started after a bit and were able to dock it successfully and the fuel stopped dumping into the carb, but what gives? This has happened twice in the past two times we have gone out. When its running, there is no hesitation or stumble, it just runs great.

Earlier this year, I pumped all the old fuel out of my tank and every last drop of water. I also replaced the fuel filter, put on a new mechanical carter fuel pump (the other had failed), and cleaned out and rebuilt the carb with new gaskets and everything. It almost seems like something is hanging up the float and causing lots of fuel to dump in the carb, but what could that be? And, why did my accelerator pump not work when trying to start the boat first thing?

Two different problems, or same problem? Its definitely a fuel delivery problem, but what is the root cause?

1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 2000 SS with the 5.7 liter VP GL engine, 2 barrel holley carb that was cleaned out, all passages blown out, and the rebuilt with a holley kit.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Take the fuel bowl off the carb and move the float up and down while watching to see if it binds at any point. When you cleaned the carb did you check/adjust the float? If the baffle isn't installed correctly it can cause the float to hang up. When you were trying to start it, was the choke closing when the engine was cold?

slag

Chief Petty Officer
I did not change or adjust the float, just cleaned out the float bowl but did not modify or change anything in there. When I took the carb apart, I mainly just cleaned everything up, took out the jets and cleaned them, cleaned up the gasket surfaces and replaced them, and made sure all the passages were clean by spraying carb cleaner and air through them. The choke was closed when the engine was cold, but the accelerator pump should have also been pushing fuel out and it wasn't.

wkb2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like the float is sticking or you accidentally knocked it out of adjustment when you cleaned it

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like the float is sticking or you accidentally knocked it out of adjustment when you cleaned it

yeah, I agree. I took the carb back off today and can't find anything wrong. I'm going to replace the needle and seat and check the float out, but I can't find anything wrong. Will take photos. Probably wont be until tomorrow...