Electric ignition conversion and spark plug gap

TravG

Cadet
I have a late 80s GM 350 in my i/o boat. Years ago I removed the points and installed an electronic ignition conversion kit. I installed new plugs this year before starting, and gapped them at .028" per the manual. When I removed the old plugs, I noticed they were all at the plug manufacturer's default gap of .040" (quick check). Now when I start the boat, it idles poorly and will not idle at neutral throttle without stalling. Could be lots of reasons I still need to investigate, but I thought I'd see if anyone here knew if the change in spark plug gap could be doing it. I could swap the old plugs back in and test, but didn't want to go through the hassle if that clearly couldn't be the problem.

The old plugs and new plugs are the same- champion RV8C. I kept the electronic ignition kit instructions and it says nothing about spark plug gap.
Thanks for the help

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Kind of depends on your coil. Just put a GM HEI distributer in my '73 ford. Factory plug gap was .30, with the HEI its .60.

Maclin

Admiral
Probably something else going on. What all did you do at the same time? Did you change out the cap and rotor too or just plugs, etc. Retrace all steps, maybe a plug wire broke, or got swapped around.