Anyone STILL having fuel pump issues after already replacing the pump?

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just out of curiosity. I have a friend who sold his boat because he was replacing his electric fuel pumps every couple years. He'd run his boat until the fuel pump went out then he'd replace it with a new one and run it until that one died. These Carter build fuel pumps have been a real issue for us EFI owners. I replaced mine four years ago and haven't had an issue since until this spring when my boat got hot on the muffs and the fuel pump started squeeling. It pressure tested fine and I've had the boat out and ran it hard for over an hour without issue but it remains in the back of my mind that these pumps just don't last more than a couple hundred hours. What have been your experiences?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Carter fuel pumps, EFI and Volvo Penta don't usually go together. What kind of motor do you have

nosensegrafix

Recruit
I just came here to make a post about this and ask what would make a brand new carter pump go out. Like after two times out it started giving me hassle and finally died. Started smoking every time I was trying to start.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Is your fuel pump water cooled? Mine is, not sure about them all. If so, make sure it is getting good water flow to keep it cooled. Overheating could cause premature failure.

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just came here to make a post about this and ask what would make a brand new carter pump go out. Like after two times out it started giving me hassle and finally died. Started smoking every time I was trying to start.

Are you on the original pump or replacement? Carter decided it was a good idea to paint the inside of the pumps and they would fail due to the paint flaking/gumming up the fuel pump screens. I witnessed this first hand as my pump started to do the death squeel and then gave out completely. I took the pump apart to find the high and low fuel pumps were blocked with gooey paint chips. I ordered a new pump that did not have the inside painted and replaced the pump. I also checked the fuel pump regulator screen and it too was clogged with paint chips. I cleaned it off and purged the fuel rail. The boat runs well now but I've heard of many people having to replace their fuel pumps every couple years.