Raw Water Pickup Problems

jaknight

Cadet
I have read a bunch of info on this problem with my aq125a / 270 pair. At idle and low speed the engine gets cooled great. Once I am up on plane the engine will warm up pretty quick. If I slow down it starts cooling back to operating temp pretty quickly also. I pulled the rubber hose off the elbow going into the lower unit and it is quite corroded. I taped the bottom up and poured water in. Some water seemed to pour out of the exhaust port on the outdrive (Where it connects to the bellows which were disconnected.) so I am thinking there is an oring somewhere in there that is bad which has been mentioned.

Are there any good guides for removing the outdrive and replacing this oring? Or might it be better to install a through hull pickup and skip all the hassle of the outdrive pickup all together? Is the outdrive relying on this water for cooling? If I left the hose off on the upper part of the OD quite a bit of water would flow up through on its own.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the pickup casting is a known issue. the whole casting is under $20. I replace mine on the 290 drive once every 3 years. It should be replaced when you replace the bellows every 3 years. you also are pulling at least the upper gear box yearly to inspect the u-joints? correct?

jaknight

Cadet
The boat is new to me but I know it had a new ujoint just before it was parked, but I will check it. The water coming out of the bellows input on the outdrive is my biggest concern. Seems like its leaking somewhere between the casting and the pickup fins. This casting it corroded but there was still plenty of contact for the hose to seal. I may try some anarobic gasket inside the hose first to see if that solves it before I buy (wait) a new casting.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get a new casting. That is the source of your water intake issues. If you remove the two bolts holding the casting, it will crumble in your hands as it corrodes from the inside out.

Not even epoxy will help

jaknight

Cadet
It is off any deffinatly corroded but not to an extent I can see air getting it. Although the gasket is very chewed up under it. Where is the best place to get a new casting and gasket?