Just an introduction and hello!

Bill with a seaswirl

Seaman Apprentice
So hi everybody! I'll be bugging you all quite a bit I'm guessing...

Backstory is that I bought a 1998 sea swirl 250 aft cabin for a song. Reason for the good price was the motor was not in it... But the previous owner is actually coming through with the motor! Old one cracked the block over the winter.

So I didn't take it apart, and therefore, don't have a clue where all the parts go and in what order. I am a mechanically inclined guy. ( ford dealer technician for 8 years prior to buying out my dads locksmith biz). I was so excited to see a big bag of bolts that hold everything together! The pervious owner had every intention of fixing it for himself thank god.

Picking up the motor Sunday afternoon. It's a used 5.7 out of a suburban. Bonus was that the boat came with a brand new unopened freshwater cooling kit and new manifolds + risers. Cooling kit has instructions in it! I have been lurking and reading as many archived threads as I can find. The out drive is Volvo/omc conglomerate and seems fine, sx-s if I remember correctly.

I'll try and post a few pics from my phone in a bit.

So, hello everybody!

Bill

trippledigitss

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Bill! Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a pretty good project on your hands! I probably wont be much help, I am usually looking for help here vs giving it! I am somewhat capable but not very experienced or knowledgeable about boat mechanics.

I have an 2004 Seaswirl Striper 1851WA with a 3L VP and SX-M i/o. So even my setup is different from yours..

Anyway, welcome aboard and good luck!!

Bill with a seaswirl

Seaman Apprentice
Well crud... Picked up the motor today from the seller. Looked good. Used 350 vortec out of an unknown suburban. 7 out of 8 cylinders were 180-210 psi during a compression test. The left front one ( looking at the front of the motor) 90-100 psi... Not the sellers fault, I paid less than a reman truck long block for the whole boat and trailer with 2k worth of parts. I'll talk to my engine machinist/ customer tomorrow about options. I do like to hot rod my stuff a bit, and he did also have a brand new old style coupler that he gave me.

Might have to think about a stroker motor :)

Bill with a seaswirl

Seaman Apprentice
Well crud... Picked up the motor today from the seller. Looked good. Used 350 vortec out of an unknown suburban. 7 out of 8 cylinders were 180-210 psi during a compression test. The left front one ( looking at the front of the motor) 90-100 psi... Not the sellers fault, I paid less than a reman truck long block for the whole boat and trailer with 2k worth of parts. I'll talk to my engine machinist/ customer tomorrow about options. I do like to hot rod my stuff a bit, and he did also have a brand new old style coupler that he gave me.

Might have to think about a stroker motor :)

Soaked it with some deep creep overnight. It's up to 150psi now so I'm going to throw it in and see what happens.