Could enginge alignment be that far off?

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
VP 5.0 GXI-F w/SX-M 1.66 outdrive
I had to pull the engine to replace the inner transom plate, so after I put the engine back in, I checked the alignment. The tool would go in, but was very difficult. There was defently spline marks on the top, and very little on the bottom.
I adjusted the front mouts down about 5 full turns. It got better,but not what i would expect to all the research I did.
I ave had the drive on and off numerous times since I bought the boat a few years ago,but never checked alignment.
Now, at some point before I bouht the boat I could tell the engine was removed. I have had the boat for 3 years, Had to replace the gimble bearing already.
I am assuming the engine was not aligned properly the 1st time,damaging the bearing.
I guess I need to keep lowering the front mouts till it is aligned properly? Now if i lower the front too much, will the spline marks shift the bottom.or tlt the front down too much, or eventually both?

Thanks

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your gimbal bearing is able to be moved and aligned to the coupler before you move the adjustment on the front mounts to "Fine align" the whole mess. Put your alignment bar in and stop short of the coupler and move the bar to align the bearing up or down as required to align the bearing to the coupler. You'll know your close when you are able slide the bar into the coupler. When it gets fairly easy you then adjust the mounts as required to fine align it and then the bar should go right in. I would bring your mounts back up the 5 turns and try it again doing this bearing to coupler method first.

Last Time i pulled the engine i noticed the engine mounts were loose and that was the cause for me to be unable of proper alignment . The engine was to far off laterally ! You can use a smaller tube instead of the alignment bar and check the gap with the bearing. It helps very much.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last Time i pulled the engine i noticed the engine mounts were loose and that was the cause for me to be unable of proper alignment . The engine was to far off laterally ! You can use a smaller tube instead of the alignment bar and check the gap with the bearing. It helps very much.
I dont think the mounts are loose since after I put the engine back in, I made sure everything was tight. But couldn't hurt to check again. Will look into getting a smaller bar and see if that helps.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your gimbal bearing is able to be moved and aligned to the coupler before you move the adjustment on the front mounts to "Fine align" the whole mess. Put your alignment bar in and stop short of the coupler and move the bar to align the bearing up or down as required to align the bearing to the coupler. You'll know your close when you are able slide the bar into the coupler. When it gets fairly easy you then adjust the mounts as required to fine align it and then the bar should go right in. I would bring your mounts back up the 5 turns and try it again doing this bearing to coupler method first.

Senior,
how is the gimble bearing movable? Will I have to adjust the gimble ring up/down using spacers?

Last edited:

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
The gimbal bearing itself, the center piece that the drive shaft goes through is able to be moved. It fits very tightly with in its housing but it is adjustable. If you put the alignment bar through the bearing as usual and stop shy of the coupler and put some up/down for on the bar, it will move the bearing. They come out of the box quite centered but can get knocked a bit during the install process when beat in with a block of wood or anything else that is used. Most don't know about this trick to align the bearing to coupler 1st and go straight to making mass adjustments to the motor mounts. Problem is that if the Gimbal bearing itself is way out of alignment, no amount of moving front engine mounts is going to get things right.