5.7L problem putting it in gear

Skyrydr

Cadet
I started the boat up yesterday, and noticed it was very difficult to shift into forward or reverse. When I push the button on the bottom to take it out of gear, the throttle moves both directions just fine and you could hear the engine revving up in both forward and reverse. When I left it in gear it was very difficult to move the throttle either direction. Also, when I put it in forward, I could hear and feel a thump coming from the engine compartment. Is this just a bad shift cable, or something else?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what are you working on?

could be shift cable adjustment or a bad shift cable or low gear lube or any number of other issues. however if you tell us what you have besides a volvo and a 5.7 liter, it would help us help you

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I believe you got 2 shift cables, one from the controller to the motor, 'n another from there to the drive,....

Disconnect 'em where they meet, 'n see which one is Bad,....

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ayuh,.... I believe you got 2 shift cables, one from the controller to the motor, 'n another from there to the drive,....

Disconnect 'em where they meet, 'n see which one is Bad,....

Don't think he needs to. If he presses the button to disengage the shift cable and it throttles up and down freely then the problem is isolated to the shift cable.

Bondo

Staff member
Don't think he needs to. If he presses the button to disengage the shift cable and it throttles up and down freely then the problem is isolated to the shift cable.

Ayuh,.... But not which of the 2 shift cables is bad,....

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
He has 2 shift cables? I think he has 2 cables. The one to the outdrive is to shift forward and reverse. The one to the motor is the throttle...gives rpms no?

Skyrydr

Cadet
He has 2 shift cables? I think he has 2 cables. The one to the outdrive is to shift forward and reverse. The one to the motor is the throttle...gives rpms no?

I believe this is correct. One cable appears to go from the remote, through the transom, to the stern drive. The other goes from the remote to the engine. Now if I could just figure out how long that shift cable is.

Bondo

Staff member
He has 2 shift cables? I think he has 2 cables.

Ayuh,... I think I'm wrong,.... wrong drive, bad speed readin',....

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Disconnect throttle cable from carb/throttle body and try to shift it. If there is too much pressure on the throttle cable to close the butterfly it can cause the problem your having.

davidlees

Seaman Apprentice
I had the exact same problem on my Volvo Penta Duoprop. I found that the cable that shifts the gears was corroded at the outdrive where it hooks to the gear shift lever. I was able to free it up with my wife at the control putting pressure on it and I was at the outdrive with a pair of vice grip pliars pulling on it. once I got it to move a little I sprayed it with penetrating oil and kept working it back and forth until it moved freely.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Remove the cable at the drive and see how it works. If it still is stiff, replace the cable from the console down to the drive.

Lubing these things is a temporary fix. Bite the bullet and replace the cable. The TFExtreme cables are an excellent replacement

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Totally agree with Bruceb58. It is only 3 bolts and a split pin to disconnect the shift cable at the drive, then see if it is free to move. Checks can even be done with the boat in the water with care.

Skyrydr

Cadet
This reply is a little late, but we ended up replacing the cable and it solved the problem. It wasn't a terribly difficult job, but getting the cable through the transom was a bit tricky. We decided to use electrical tape to tie the old and new cables together and feed them through the rubber tube that goes through the transom. It got stuck a couple times, but with a little wiggling and a lot of pulling we were able to get it. Thanks for everybody's advice.