Volvo Penta Power Steering Actuator (how to keep seals from going bad)

Blueeagle

Cadet
Good afternoon,

I am a new member and after researching the web, noticed that there are many boaters that have experienced leaking actuators including myself. Subsequently,I spent a significant time researching/removing mine last night and now dropped about $ 600 on a new one. Thought about rebuilding with aftermarket parts sold by various sellers but VP states that are not serviceable and after spending 2-3 hours in a bilge I decided that it might be wiser to just replace with a new one.

Would like to insure that these seals within the new VP actuator stay functional for a long time; any suggestions?

Thought that maybe using the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak may have some additives designed to repair bad seals that may also function in a proactive manner where it would prevent the damage from ever occurring?

Also thinking that leaving boat sitting for long periods may contribute to the damaging of the seals; and the very hot climates?

I attached a pic of the actuator I have and currently replacing.

Any suggestions on how to preserve the seals and be proactive to extend the lifespan of this component would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and input.

Best regards!

Attachments

• 31YIhZnuwQL__SX300_.jpg
    31YIhZnuwQL__SX300_.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Any suggestions on how to preserve the seals and be proactive to extend the lifespan of this component would be appreciated.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Do ya boat in sweetwater, or the brine,..??

Either way,..... Keep that whole area saturated with Fluid Film, 'n 'bout everything will last much longer,....

No rust, no corrosion,... keepin' the seals damp oughta help too,... donno,.....

Donno 'bout the stop-leak,.... never tried it,.....

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I recently did the same ram repair, I ended up with a new one from local surplus place because my shaft had some surface imperfections. I boat 100% in salt water and boat is a 1999 with 1800 hrs on it so if this one last same I will be pleased. Like Bondo said, keeping salt off it all couldn't hurt. I personally think stop leaks have alcohol or something that causes nitril to steal and I have never seen them work , at least for long. No way I would do that to " healthy" non leaking system as preventive. Oil seals have a durometer and are designed as-is and IMO nothing good would come from altering that.

Silverton34c

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had the same issue last summer...I pulled the unit and brought it to a hydraulic pump repair shop and had them reseal it...I have not had any issues since....