Volvo AQ151B Ignition Issues

CPAZ

Recruit
I Have an 88 Sun Runner with a Volvo AQ151B. I have replaced every part of the ignition other than the distributor which has been upgraded with a Hot Spark Ignition but am still running on 3 cylinders a majority of the time. So far Ive replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil with an MSD Blaster 3 and have rewired the ignition system. When it fires on all 4 the boat runs great!! Any info on what may be causing this issue is appreciated.

CPAZ

Recruit
What makes you think it's running on 3 cylinders?

Lack of power and usually rough idle or hard to start. When I pull the plugs #3 looks brand new the others are tan like they should look.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You aren't going to like my suggestion!

Put the points back in!

Just for future reference, whenever I do a complete ignition overhaul like you did, I replace the sets of parts in stages in case I screw up. That way, it's easier to know what to look at when things aren't working properly. I know in your case that may not matter because sometimes it works ok. Just a little advice on what I do.

Last edited:

CPAZ

Recruit
You aren't going to like my suggestion!

Put the points back in!

Just for future reference, whenever I do a complete ignition overhaul like you did, I replace the sets of parts in stages in case I screw up. That way, it's easier to know what to look at when things aren't working properly. I know in your case that may not matter because sometimes it works ok. Just a little advice on what I do.

It did the same thing before I replaced these parts and I did do it in stages. First I did the Hot Spark and rotor then I did the cap with plugs wires and coil. This thing should fire no problem since the ignition system is much better than the stock components. At this point I believe its something besides the ignition.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I actually believe in sticking with points as I don't like the reliability of these distributor upgrade systems. When points are adjusted properly, the upgrade systems are no better.