Engine seized after cutting ignition in gear?

zrider

Recruit
I was pulling into a cove today to wait for some friends to join us on the boat. I normally throttle down, put it in neutral before cutting ignition. This time I cut the ignition while the boat was still in gear. It gave a little shake when it turned off kind of like it was diesel ing but I didn't think much of it. When I tried to restart the boat it wouldn't turn over. I thought my battery must have been drained because I had started /stopped the engine a lot over the previous hour. After changing battery it has the same issue. I put a socket on the crank pulley and tried to turn the engine by hand and it won't turn. It's in neutral and the prop spins freely.

Any ideas?

97 Chaparral 1930 with 5.7L Volvo Penta

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Take the spark plugs out and try the starter, I'll bet a cylinder is hydrolocked

zrider

Recruit
You are right, multiple cylinders were full of water. How did that happen? Did it suck the water and through the exhaust?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
prop was acting as turbine and water rushed back up exhaust as boat came off plane. A lot of VP didn't have backflow valve in the exhaust. In some boats the engine is low enough that the risers need height extenders to prevent that from happening

Fire the engine up(on muffs if on trailer) and run it to dry it out

Last edited:

zrider

Recruit
Thanks for your help. I pulled all the plugs and started turning it over but the crank bolt broke after trying to turn it over. Hoping there's no major damage in there. I ran out of time, won't be able to mess with it again until this coming week

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You broke the bolt holding the Harmonic Balancer? Spray a crap load of wd-40 in to the sprarkplug holes to reduce the rust since you can't run it for a while. crank it with the starter to spread it around

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You NEVER try to turn a motor over by the crank bolt. There are special crank sockets to do that. Full the cylinders with oil. Pull the harmonic damper, try to get the broken bolt out. You may have to pull the motor for room