Trim/Tilt problems - 2004 Volvo Penta 4.3i-E

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New to the forum, tons of great info here. Bought a 2004 Hurricane with a 4.3 volvo penta and 80 hours on the boat. Boat ran great until today. Trim/tilt is dead. I've spent the last 4 hours on this site and tried a bunch of the advice. When I hit the switch I don't hear anything at all. Fuse is fine. I tried running jumper directly to the blue and green wires from the battery and when I hit the positive side I got a really bad spark and wire starts to melt on the terminal on the battery. Motor didn't turn at all. I also tried one of the troubleshooting threads by pulling off the relays and checks the voltage in the relays. I got 0 on everything. I did make sure my power switch was on at the main console.

I took the motor apart and it had tons of corrosion. I cleaned it up and put it back together and then got the jumper wires back out again and again, really bad spark (but it did turn a little).

Going to replace the motor (if nothing else, due to the corrosion). Any other ideas on what I should do?

Bondo

Staff member
I took the motor apart and it had tons of corrosion. I cleaned it up and put it back together and then got the jumper wires back out again and again, really bad spark (but it did turn a little).

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Sounds like yer headed in the right direction,......

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Went to my local marine dealer (1 of 2 in the area) and they are going to have it re-built for $50. My biggest worry is that I think I'm not even getting power to the relays. I'm currently trying to find a wiring schematic for the boat to see if there is another inline fuse somewhere that I'm not seeing.

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
UPDATE: Traced the power supply to the 50 amp breaker located behind the engine. Had power going in to the breaker but not out. Hot wired the power in to the trim relays and got instant clicking. My guess is the motor seized and then shorted out the breaker, although the breaker didn't pop. Either way, the breaker did it's job.