1969 outdrive gear oil fill location

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm trying to change the fluids on my 1969 glasply with a 225 buick and a volvo outdrive. On the outdrive, I see the drain plug at the bottom, and the dipstick at the top, but I don't see any fill plug or a site plug to let me know when I've put enough in. Do I just fill through the dipstick whole? If so, how much oil does it take? Thanks for any help.

Gibsonman2005

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't know anything about your motor, but I know enough to say never fill anything through a dip stick tube. Gear oil is for the lower unit..the gears that make the prop go... Im no veteran but I've never hear of a dipstick and gear oil in the same sentence... That said usually a dip stick is for motor oil. I wish I had links to provide you but I don't. Basically there are two screws that deal with gear oil. One is the drain plug usually located by the skeg. The other will usually be an exact replica of the previous screw only it's located just above the bulbous part of the gear box...it's the fill plug (what I call it).

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Once full install dipstick then remove pump and install lower drain plug. Very little oil will come out.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The link is to an OMC drive - not Volvo. It's customary to fill some Aquamatic drives from the dip stick hole - that's how I do mine. BTW - no gear oil in the Volvo Penta Aquamatic! The Aquamatic uses the same oil you put in the motor. If your drive looks like this you fill it from the dipstick hole.
11717467524_377c8ceea2_z.jpg

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
The link is to an OMC drive - not Volvo. It's customary to fill some Aquamatic drives from the dip stick hole - that's how I do mine. BTW - no gear oil in the Volvo Penta Aquamatic! The Aquamatic uses the same oil you put in the motor. If your drive looks like this you fill it from the dipstick hole.
11717467524_377c8ceea2_z.jpg

That's what my drive looks like. I have a 225 buick v6 for an engine, so I filled it with 5w30. Is that what I use in the drive (5w30)?

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class

pat, this is perfect. Do you know how I can tell what exact model outdrive I have?

When I had it out this weekend, it started to make a loud grinding noise when I turned the boat. I'm going to start a new thread on it, but I'm not sure if it's just the U-joint that needs to be replaced, or if it would be easier / cheaper to find a new lower unit and install that.