2007 volvo penta SX-A outdrive with trim cylinder that leaks

mcarboneau

Recruit
I have a 2007 Chapparal 210 with a Volvo Penta SX-A outdrive that has a leak from the main seal that lies INSIDE the brass bushing near the end of the cylinder. I drilled out the retention clip and took the cylinder apart. Although I have seen posts for replacement parts, several dealers, Marinas, Volvo themselves, repair shops say that there are no replacement parts for this particular cylinder. That includes the SX, SX-C, DPS, Etc. I was even given an OMC repair kit number 0985060 and the parts look nothing like the actual parts in the cylinder. Any help would be great because I am told that a $550+ new cylinder was the only way to go. Thanks

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Try contacting the vendor below on eBay

The listing is for SX-A outdrives seal kits. I would contact them just to confirm.

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
The following linked EBay seller shows/compares some of the seals and o-rings between OEM's and the new seal kit he's selling for the Volvo Penta Trim Cylinder / Ram Rebuild Seal Kit for the DPS-A, DPS-B, SX-A, DPS-A, Ocean X series, TSK-A, TSK-B stern drive models. http://www.ebay.com/itm/301862965521

Quick Note for the Volvo SX (OMC) style drives that were made roughly between 1994 (under Volvo) through the end of 2006 then the o-ring rebuild kit part number 0985060 would be the kit you'd need to repair a leaking cylinder ram available through iboats, http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Acc...&q=0985060
http://forums.iboats.com/search?q=09...22keywords%22% 3A%220985060%22%7D
0985060 parts seen here

Last edited:

trippledigitss

Seaman Apprentice
I bought that same rebuild kit from V1 hydraulics on eBay and it was really good. I rebuilt one of the trim cylinders on my sx-m and have had no problems whatsoever and it's been maybe 6 months or more now?

It was pretty easy to do, the only problem I had was the forward pin that mounts the cylinder Ram to the outdrive was corroded in there phosphate oxidation or something and was an absolute pain in the neck to get it out!

mcarboneau

Recruit
That's a lot cheaper than a new $550 cylinder. Does it matter if my mine is not an OCEAN series? Thanks for the help!

Fun Times

Staff member
That's a lot cheaper than a new $550 cylinder. Does it matter if my mine is not an OCEAN series? Thanks for the help!
It may. Need to know your stern drive model numbers.

17. NOTE: You need to know your engine model number, not by year of your boat. If you are not sure of what model number you have or where to find it, have a look at these three links on Volvo Penta Engine ID.
FAQ model name - FAQ : Volvo Penta
FAQ Serial number - FAQ : Volvo Penta
How to identify your engine or drive

Thalasso

Commander

If your drive is one of these, then no it doesn't matter
DPS-A, DPS-B, SX-A, DPS-A, Ocean X series, TSK-A, TSK-B

Last edited:

mcarboneau

Recruit
The metal plate on my out drive says Prod No. 3883601, Type SX-A, Ratio 1.60 and Ser No. 4202185104. This is Greek to me and I don't see horse power rating or anything else that would help me determine what seal kit I need. It is a 2007 Chapparal SSI 210 with a Volvo Penta red engine.

trippledigitss

Seaman Apprentice
One other thing - if you have the ends caps on the ram end make sure you get a good spanner wrench to get the end cap off. I bought a used one off FeeBay for $22, a little spendy but worth it since it worked perfect. The model is Armstrong Adjustable Face Spanner Wrench 2 Inch Size 482 3/16 Pin

Oh nevermind - I see that you already got your apart and sounds like you dont have the same ends caps as mine does anyway.

Last edited:

mcarboneau

Recruit
Thanks for all the help. I used to think of myself as being half way handy. Guess I was wrong! I was just told by a dealer that I need to know what degree of tilt (full, 42, etc) my out drive is. Is that for a complete cylinder replacement? I can't view the parts in the kit that I am ordering, so does it include a new (special length, depending on the degree of my cylinder tilt) ram cylinder or only the rings, seals and 2 copper sleeves? I hope it has a new retainer ring as I drilled out the old one. I hope this is the last posting I will bother you all with! Thanks

Thalasso

Commander
Thanks for all the help. I used to think of myself as being half way handy. Guess I was wrong! I was just told by a dealer that I need to know what degree of tilt (full, 42, etc) my out drive is. Is that for a complete cylinder replacement? I can't view the parts in the kit that I am ordering, so does it include a new (special length, depending on the degree of my cylinder tilt) ram cylinder or only the rings, seals and 2 copper sleeves? I hope it has a new retainer ring as I drilled out the old one. I hope this is the last posting I will bother you all with! Thanks

Not if your just rebuilding the rams. The only thing that gets changed is a few o-rings and a brass bushing

What retainer rings did you drill out?

Last edited:

mcarboneau

Recruit
I drilled out the (what I call) retention ring that holds in the brass bushing at the end of the cylinder. It holds everything in the cylinder housing. I think they call it a cap retainer clip.

Fun Times

Staff member
The metal plate on my out drive says Prod No. 3883601, Type SX-A, Ratio 1.60 and Ser No. 4202185104. This is Greek to me and I don't see horse power rating or anything else that would help me determine what seal kit I need. It is a 2007 Chapparal SSI 210 with a Volvo Penta red engine.
Thanks.. That is the stern drive info. Each of the 3 components has similar type numbers that you need to know to find the correct parts for each component....Engine, Transom Assembly, Stern Drive.

​I just noticed that Volvo has a rebuild kit for the trim ram lines should they leak.
It's Volvo rebuild kit part number kit ​3889431 ​which is item number 14 in the following Volvo link, http://www.volvopentastore.com/Trim-...view_id.775578
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...89431&_sacat=0

In post # 3 above, it looks like the guy is holding the retainer ring you may have drilled out as it's mentioned that is the hardest part to do. If so, then you may have to find one local as it's item number 19 in the part list linked above but unfortunately there is no part number for the Snap Ring.

Here is where someone did a write-up with good photos of their rebuild using both the Volvo trim line repair kit and the cylinder repair kit from EBay for his DPS-A drive, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...outdrives/9279160-dps-a-trim-cylinder-rebuild

Here is your model stern drive and transom parts lists for you, repaired
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Marin...view_id.765149

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
I was just told by a dealer that I need to know what degree of tilt (full, 42, etc) my out drive is. Is that for a complete cylinder replacement?
Yes you need to know that info if you are ordering a new trim cylinder. Problem is a lot of dealers only go by or like to go by what ever the manufacturers offers them. So if the manufacturer doesn't offer a rebuild kit then they usually only offer to sell a new part. Very rarely will a bigger type dealership go outside the norm and locate a possible rebuilt kit someone may have made up on their own and sells elsewhere such as something like this. A small service only shop might do it but it's hard pressed to find one that will as they sometimes have a bad tendency to talk negatively about an idea such as this. This is more to do with internet talk and searches as service repair shops don't tend to bother much with.

If you can't open the Volvo link in the post above then this will help give an idea of what the dealer was talking about for knowing the trim degree that you'd have to measure,
1Trimming Cylinder38899551Starboard, Full tilt-Thru Dealer**
1Trimming Cylinder38899571Starboard, 42? tilt limit-Thru Dealer**
1Trimming Cylinder38899591Starboard, 32? tilt limit-Thru Dealer**
2Trimming Cylinder38899541Port, Full tilt-Thru Dealer**
2Trimming Cylinder38899561Port, 42? tilt limit-Thru Dealer**
2Trimming Cylinder38899581Port, 32? tilt limit-Thru Dealer**

Last edited:

Nheels

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes you need to know that info if you are ordering a new trim cylinder. Problem is a lot of dealers only go by or like to go by what ever the manufacturers offers them. So if the manufacturer doesn't offer a rebuild kit then they usually only offer to sell a new part. Very rarely will a bigger type dealership go outside the norm and locate a possible rebuilt kit someone may have made up on their own and sells elsewhere such as something like this. A small service only shop might do it but it's hard pressed to find one that will as they sometimes have a bad tendency to talk negatively about an idea such as this. This is more to do with internet talk and searches as service repair shops don't tend to bother much with.

If you can't open the Volvo link in the post above then this will help give an idea of what the dealer was talking about for knowing the trim degree that you'd have to measure,
1Trimming Cylinder38899551Starboard, Full tilt-Thru Dealer**
1Trimming Cylinder38899571Starboard, 42? tilt limit-Thru Dealer**
1Trimming Cylinder38899591Starboard, 32? tilt limit-Thru Dealer**
2Trimming Cylinder38899541Port, Full tilt-Thru Dealer**
2Trimming Cylinder38899561Port, 42? tilt limit-Thru Dealer**
2Trimming Cylinder38899581Port, 32? tilt limit-Thru Dealer**
Late to this thread, but do you know how to find out what cylinders to use? Mine are in the water and one can't go up.. so can't measure it.